CWDigitalDigest Brass Bands - Vol. V, Episode 3

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Welcome in your Sunday morning with some Civil War Brass Band Music!

Published on Jan 30, 2019

This week members of the 73rd OVI Brass Band joined us at Historic Fort Wayne, Detroit, so we could learn about brass bands during the Civil War. Not only will you get to hear the story of the bands - you will get to listen to original brass instruments being played. Watch the episode and enjoy the music!

YouTube: Channel

Civil War Digital Digest (CWDD) is your first stop for high quality videos on Civil War history, living history and Michigan Civil War history. Here the avid living historian, relaxed arm chair general and teachers will find resources that both educate and entertain.

CivilWarTalk will feature a CWDD video every Sunday when possible, either the latest offering, or a classic video from the past! Make sure you post your comments about the video below!

1549200257290.jpeg

Welcome in your Sunday morning with some Civil War Brass Band Music!

Published on Jan 30, 2019

This week members of the 73rd OVI Brass Band joined us at Historic Fort Wayne, Detroit, so we could learn about brass bands during the Civil War. Not only will you get to hear the story of the bands - you will get to listen to original brass instruments being played. Watch the episode and enjoy the music!

YouTube: Channel

Civil War Digital Digest (CWDD) is your first stop for high quality videos on Civil War history, living history and Michigan Civil War history. Here the avid living historian, relaxed arm chair general and teachers will find resources that both educate and entertain.

CivilWarTalk will feature a CWDD video every Sunday when possible, either the latest offering, or a classic video from the past! Make sure you post your comments about the video below!

View attachment 262061
Thanks to the band members for this. The information about the battle of the bands after Fredericksburg and Stones River and the musicians' dual roles as stretcher bearers and medical orderlies was very interesting. You gentlemen would certainly be most welcome as members of CivilWarTalk too.

Gotta love that sound!!! Welcome to CWT!!! Do you gentlemen have any connections to the brass bands that play in the Philadelphia Mummers Parade?

This was well-worth the 11 minutes of pure entertainment and learning. So many "little tidbits" included and they sounded absolutely wonderful. I love the mellow tones - but must admit I'm curious how "Home Sweet Home" sounds when played at a quick-step tempo. Thank you for putting this together.

I’m always interested in hearing a Civil War Brass Band play, those original instruments have a strange quality, there is a tinny midtone that you never hear in modern instruments, but it gives the era music a really pleasing quality too, not sure how to describe it.

I almost wonder if that’s a flatness to the note that lets it carry a longer distance, rather than the cleaner notes modern instruments play. Sort of like a car horn.

Or Maybe I need my ears cleaned :D

Thank you Mike. We had a Sacramento based brass band play for the 2010 West Coast Civil War Conference and they also educated us about the role of bands and among the pieces they played was an early version of the Star Spangled Banner.

Back