CWTrust Brandy Station preservation opportunity!

Eric Wittenberg

1st Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Battlefield preservation warriors, it's time to circle the wagons once more...

Thanks to years and years of hard work and perseverance, another 244 acres of the Brandy Station battlefield are available to be saved. One is a 70 acre parcel at the northern crest of Fleetwood Hill, which saw the day's final heavy fighting, wherein John Buford correctly claimed that his troopers gained the crest of Fleetwood Hill, overlooking Brandy Station. This is a preservation easement for critical core battlefield land.

The second parcel of 174 acres is also core battlefield land--Col. Matthew C. Butler's 2nd South Carolina Cavalry held and was eventually driven from this ground, which also served as major Union campsites during the winter encampment of 1863-1864. This is also beautiful, pristine battlefield land, and the Trust will be purchasing it.

I know that I have called on you in the past, but I've always said that there was plenty of work remaining to be completed at Brandy Station, and this is proof positive. If you have some extra cash, please help out and please help continue to preserve our most important Civil War cavalry battlefield. Thank you.

And an extra special thank you to my friend Clark Hall for his many years of unsung work that led to these opportunities. Bud is, of course, far too modest to claim credit, but the truth is that his hard work and the relationships he has cultivated for decades have made all of this possible. Thank you, Bud.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefield...email&utm_medium=email_ask&utm_campaign=31617

Eric a little off topic but is there still a movement to get Brandy Station and Cedar Mountain turned over to the state as a state park? I know there was momentum for it last year or the year before but i heard nothing about it at this year's General Assembly session.

I dont want to divert this into modern politics but the state does have a significant deficit they have to address wasn't sure if that was a factor now.

Jamie,

You bet. But this is going to be a long, drawn out process. We continue to hope that it will come to pass, and things seem to be on track, but we always have expected it to be a 5-10 year process before it actually happened. There are lots of wheels that have to grind and lots of sausage to be made, if you get that analogy, before this particular dream comes to pass. But so far, so good.

If you have some extra cash, please help out and please help continue to preserve our most important Civil War cavalry battlefield. Thank you.

Every time I get the urge to feed my Starbuck's habit, I ask myself: How much better can this money bee spent?? Last week, it was several boxes of Girl Scout cookies. Last year, it was to save up for Gettysburg (yes, I spend that much) I guess this go around will be for Civil War Trust.

Take pity when/if you see me, and buy me a cup of Starbuck's poison :smile:

Every time I get the urge to feed my Starbuck's habit, I ask myself: How much better can this money bee spent?? Last week, it was several boxes of Girl Scout cookies. Last year, it was to save up for Gettysburg (yes, I spend that much) I guess this go around will be for Civil War Trust.

Take pity when/if you see me, and buy me a cup of Starbuck's poison :smile:
Pretend you're me. It's a 150 mile round trip to get Starbucks. :nah disagree: But next time I see you, let's go indulge. Treat's on me.

Back