1862: Participated in the Battle of Cedar Mountain​
1862: Participated in the Second Battle of Bull Run​
1862: Participated in the Battle of the Chantilly​
1862: Participated in the Battle of Harper's Ferry​
1862: Killed by sharpshooter while conversing with other generals
IMG_5852.JPG

Died: September 17, 1862

Place of Death: Sharpsburg, Maryland

Cause of Death: Wounding of bullet that went into right cheek and exited behind his left ear.

Age at time of Death: 41 years old

Burial Place: City Cemetery, Raleigh, North Carolina

IMG_5851.JPG
IMG_5857.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read about Branch,His brigade was one of the bunchs of troops that A.P.Hill rushed from Harper's Ferry to Antietam to "rescue Lee". And if it was after the Confederate right was restored that Branch was struck by a sharpshooters bullet, killing him on the battlefield, why is Antietam not listed as one of his battles?
Sharpsburg = Antietam, Sharpsburg was the Confederate name of the battle.

Bump for Antietam.
Branch was the highest ranking Confederate killed at Antietam, as he was preparing his brigade to stem Burnside's breakthrough on the right flank.

After the battle was almost over a group of generals were standing and talking when a Federal sharpshooter fired a shot at them,hitting Branch. The group consisted of Branch, Maxcy Gregg, Dorsey Pender, James Archer, A.P.Hill and General Lee. It is reported that the same bullet hit General Gregg in the thigh.

After the battle was almost over a group of generals were standing and talking when a Federal sharpshooter fired a shot at them,hitting Branch. The group consisted of Branch, Maxcy Gregg, Dorsey Pender, James Archer, A.P.Hill and General Lee. It is reported that the same bullet hit General Gregg in the thigh.
Of that group General Lee was the only one to survive the War.

Of that group General Lee was the only one to survive the War.
I can't say for sure,but I would almost bet that yankee sharpshooter hit what he was aiming at.He was probably far enough away so he couldn't positively identify anyone but something made him aim at "that guy's head". Branch must have had a stance or walk that made him look like the head man. Newer or clean uniform maybe? Hat or kepi? Maybe wearing a sword? Color of his horse, something?

Before accepting the position as colonel of the 33rd North Carolina of September, 1861, Branch took a job in the office of the state Quartermaster General (North Carolina) in May of 1861.He soon resigned because he wanted to be "in the field".

There are at least 6 memorial cannons at Antietam marking the locations where commanders lost their lives, one is for Branch.
Correct. The cannons represent the deaths of:

Major General Joseph K.F. Mansfield
Major General Israel B. Richardson
Brigadier General Isaac P. Rodman
Brigadier General William E. Starke
Brigadier General George B. Anderson
Brigadier General Lawrence O'B. Branch

Ryan

On Dec. 29, 1859 Branch challenged Galusha Grow to a duel on the House floor. The duel never occured as the duelist and their seconds were arrested by District of Columbia Police before it took place.Grow had been in a brawl on the floor of the House on Feb. 5,1858.Though not mentioned by name in all the references concerning the brawl, I can imagine Branch was probably present as it involved Southerners and Northerners (approximately 50 were involved). It ended with both sides laughing at William Barksdale's hairpiece which had been put on backwards during the brawl. I urge readers to research the incident, some familiar names will appear.

On Dec. 29, 1859 Branch challenged Galusha Grow to a duel on the House floor. The duel never occured as the duelist and their seconds were arrested by District of Columbia Police before it took place.Grow had been in a brawl on the floor of the House on Feb. 5,1858.Though not mentioned by name in all the references concerning the brawl, I can imagine Branch was probably present as it involved Southerners and Northerners (approximately 50 were involved). It ended with both sides laughing at William Barksdale's hairpiece which had been put on backwards during the brawl. I urge readers to research the incident, some familiar names will appear.
I remember this. One of the funniest things I've ever come across in this era. Wish this happens more today, would make current politics more fun to watch.

Back