(Buried: Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama)​

Married: June 7, 1849 in Louisiana

Children: None

Died: September 25, 1908

Place of Death: Orleans Parish, Louisiana

Age at time of Death: 82 years old
Obit Bragg.jpg

Burial Place: Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama

Eliza Brooks Ellis was born on October 27, 1825 in Adams County, Mississippi to Richard and Jane Ellis. Her father was a wealthy plantation owner. When Braxton Bragg made a tour of Evergreen Plantation in Thibodaux, Louisiana, he met the 23 year old Eliza. They were married on June 7, 1849.

The newlyweds moved to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri in September of 1849. This was a comfortable assignment. But then they were transferred to Fort Gibson in the Indian Territory in October 1853. Eight months later they were transferred to Fort Washita near the Texas border. This was a very primitive fort and Braxton moved Eliza back to Thibodaux. He traveled to Washington to request a reassignment but was denied.

On Jan. 3, 1856, Bragg resigned from the military and he and Eliza purchased a sugar plantation of 1600 acres, 3 miles north of Thibodaux. Both his father and his wife's father were slave owners and Braxton was not opposed to slavery. His plantation used 105 slaves in the production of sugar. There is no evidence that the Braggs were cruel owners. He did continued to uphold his reputation as a stern disciplinarian and an advocate of military efficiency. His methods resulted in almost immediate profitability despite the large mortgage on the property.

The Braggs opposed the concept of session, believing that in a republic no majority could set aside a written constitution. However, he was a colonel in the Louisiana Militia and was promoted to major general of the militia in 1861. On March 7th, his commission was transferred to a brigadier general of the Confederate Army.

Eliza and Braxton Bragg had no children. It was known her life centered on her husband. He died in 1876. Eliza died on Sept. 25, 1908. She is buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama.

Source: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eliza-brooks-ellis-bragg.106219/

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently read a couple of biographies of Braxton. Eliza had some influence to him as to strategy. Told him to put the Tennesseans up in front. They weren't to be trusted. Seemed to be a sectional divide between the Southerners. Partly explains Braggs, enemies and apologist.

In the fall of 1862, General Bragg learned of the destruction of his Louisiana home “Bivouac”. Ordered by General Benjamin Butler, General Godfrey Weitzel was sent in the Bayou Lafourche area in late October. On October 28th, Federal troops arrived at the Bragg home.

Elise Bragg later confided to the wife of Confederate General Ben Hardin Helm (Emilie Todd, a half-sister of Mary Todd Lincoln widowed after the Battle of Chickamauga), what she experienced that day:

“A federal warned her that he could not restrain his men, that she should expect pillaging. Elise left before the worst was done leaving behind 120 to 130 slaves on the plantation.” *

When she returned a few days later she discovered:

“The house was pillaged and everything broken up, even the feather beds cut open and carpets torn from the floor and every animal that was not filled was carried away.” *

After this incident Mrs. Bragg tried to stay with her husband as much as possible.

After hearing of her trials, General Bragg wrote his wife:

“Oh! my wife, how much I suffer to think of your trials and tribulations. I often think myself wrong in sacrificing all to a sense of duty. Could I but hear you were all safe this side of the Miss. I should be grateful and happy. Suspense is torture, yet there is no help.” *

*”Braxton Bragg; The Most Hated Man of the Confederacy”, by Earl J. Hess, pages 77-78

Back