Box plate maybe

Deerhunterr82

Private
I was wondering if ya'll could help me and let me know if this box plate or whatever it is, is a repro or authentic. It has the yeqr 1864 on the back of it. Your help is greatly appreciated

20190309_134140.jpg

20190309_134118.jpg

IIRC, the 1st VA had a distinctive cartridge box breastplate that looked much like that. I think that's a reproduction because the fasteners on the back aren't correct to bold it to a sling.

Its is a reproduction plate.

I'm saying this from memory but I think I'm close, the "1st Regiment Virginia Vol" was a reenactment organization during the centennial of the Civil War. The plate is based on the breast plate of a Virginia militia unit but is not an exact copy. As such it is neither a "fake" or a "reproduction" but the buckle of an actual unit, just one from 1960 not 1860. This one looks like the back fasteners had been ground off and two holes drilled so it could be mounted on a display. They do have a growing value just not as much as a Civil War Plate. They are much like the Bannerman plates sold well into the 20th Century, they have a value and an interest in their own right.

Back