Bourbon Biscuit Pudding, a culinary delight

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
kentucky.jpg
Our Kentucky Bourbon is as famous as our Kentucky horses, you forgive this association for not knowing which to be prouder of! This banquet was held post war, but we'd been at it for awhile. Tradition still holds, just follow the culinary trail!

One of the signature desserts on the Kentucky culinary trail is Bourbon Biscuit Pudding. This is an old recipe using Jim Beam bourbon. No horses involved but they approve, too.

Ingredients

1 cup raisins
3 tablespoons Jim Bean Bourbon
12 biscuits, cooked
1 quart whole milk
6 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
4 cups water
3 cups Jim Bean Bourbon

Directions:

Soak raisins in bourbon for 8 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break up biscuits into small pieces and put in large bowl. Add milk and allow to soak for 5 minutes. Beat eggs with sugar and vanilla extract and add to bread mixture. Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter and then biscuits mixture into 2 quart baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, until set. Serve warm with Bourbon sauce.

Bourbon Sauce:

Melt stick of butter in a heavy saucepan. Add sugar and water and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In separate bowl, beat egg. Remove butter mixture from heat. Gradually add to egg, whisking constantly. Add bourbon and serve.

A dessert fit for the King and Queen.

From Kentucky Living Magazine, recipes.

Last edited:
What kind of biscuits would you use for this?

I've had two beautiful American Saddlebreds in my life - both have passed now. There is nothing like them. I love the picture of the Saddlebred on the cover.

Back