NF Both Prayed to the Same God

Non-Fiction

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
At a CWRT and tonight Robert Miller is presenting Faith of the Fathers Stories of Challenges, Courage, Humor and Dedication of Catholuc Civil War Chaplains.

Talk starts in 5 minutes. So should I buy his book at the end of his talk?

At a CWRT and tonight Robert Miller is presenting Faith of the Fathers Stories of Challenges, Courage, Humor and Dedication of Catholuc Civil War Chaplains.

Let me know what you think. I am working on an impression of a Chaplain

I hope you will fill us in after the talk @major bill . It sounds like an interesting book to me.

Robert Miller gave us an hour talk about Civil War chaplains, but his focus was on Catholic chaplains. He did discuss the typical day for a Catholic chaplain.

His talk was well received. I did not stand in line to purchase his book, it appeared that he brought about a dozen books and I believe he will sell all of them.

Some factoids: The Union had 2,398 chaplains and the Confederacy had 938. There were 110 priests who served as chaplains with 74 being official chaplains. 38% of the Union and 47% of the Confederate chaplains were Methodist. The next most popular demolition for chaplains was Presbyterians , with Baptist being 12% of the Union chaplains and 16% of Confederate chaplains.

Fr. Miller is very knowledgeable about the RC chaplaincy and is working on a sequel of sorts to Both Prayed to the Same God, which will provide a roster, with brief bios, of the RC chaplains in Union and Confederate service. Anyone interested in that subject might also want to look for an edition of David P. Conyngham, Soldiers of the Cross..., ed. David Endres and William Kurtz (due out in April from University of Notre Dame Press); its emphasis is on Catholic priests and religious (mostly Irish) who served the Union, though he includes a few others. The journal of Fr. James Sheeran, the southern Redemptorist chaplain, has been newly edited by Patrick J. Hayes (Catholic University of American Press, 2016), with excellent notes; Fr. Hippolyte Gache's war letters are still available in the fine edition of Cornelius Buckley, titled Frenchman, Chaplain, Rebel (University of Alabama Press). My own book on Fr. Darius Hubert, the "soldier priest of the Confederacy," will hopefully be added to this shelf before too long.

There are quite a few book-length studies of the CW chaplaincy (north and south, RC and Protestant), of varying quality, and some individual bios and editions of letters and papers. Not to mention a few excellent theses, dissertations, and articles. But this has been, overall, an under-studied aspect of the war.

Fr. Miller is very knowledgeable about the RC chaplaincy and is working on a sequel of sorts to Both Prayed to the Same God, which will provide a roster, with brief bios, of the RC chaplains in Union and Confederate service. Anyone interested in that subject might also want to look for an edition of David P. Conyngham, Soldiers of the Cross..., ed. David Endres and William Kurtz (due out in April from University of Notre Dame Press); its emphasis is on Catholic priests and religious (mostly Irish) who served the Union, though he includes a few others. The journal of Fr. James Sheeran, the southern Redemptorist chaplain, has been newly edited by Patrick J. Hayes (Catholic University of American Press, 2016), with excellent notes; Fr. Hippolyte Gache's war letters are still available in the fine edition of Cornelius Buckley, titled Frenchman, Chaplain, Rebel (University of Alabama Press). My own book on Fr. Darius Hubert, the "soldier priest of the Confederacy," will hopefully be added to this shelf before too long.

There are quite a few book-length studies of the CW chaplaincy (north and south, RC and Protestant), of varying quality, and some individual bios and editions of letters and papers. Not to mention a few excellent theses, dissertations, and articles. But this has been, overall, an under-studied aspect of the war.
More great information. Thanks @KateBJ .

Back