Boteler's Ford, Potomac River near Shepherdstown

35090v.jpg

• Title: Boteler's Ford, Potomac River near Shepherdstown. Point at which Confederate Army crossed after battle of Antietam
  • Date Created/Published: [photographed between 1861 and 1865, printed between 1880 and 1889]
  • Medium: 1 photograph : albumen print on card mount.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-35090 (digital file from original item, bottom right) LC-B8124-10444 (b&w film copy neg.) LC-B8151-5076 (b&w film copy neg.)
  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
  • Call Number: LOT 4164-G, no. 2 [P&P]

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Are there leeches in running water, too? 56 years, managed to not know that- hate those things. OH wait- of course there are! Humphrey Bogart in ' African Queen '!- don't anybody tell me that's a movie and proves nothing. Hepburn wouldn't let anyone lie.

You see these action lines, ' Army crossed at Boteler Ford ', some other place. Still a little amazing. Ever walk across just a creek? Slippy darn rocks, places to get your foot stuck in if you don't see it, water pushing against you if it's deep enough. Plus, some horses hate the bejammers out of that kind of thing, refuse then kind of say OK THEN when you're not ready for it. Looking at this pic of Ted's, it just occurred to me what that whole army crossing thing would have looked like- still can't really imagine.

There are actually 3 shallow crossings withing app. 200 yards of each other at this location.
I have seen but can't find the picture on line of 3 columns crossing. Steve French has the pictures in his book about
Imboden.

What about the snakes in those creeks. Step in a hole and snake comes out. My Granddad had creek at back of his farm. we were told never to go in it because of snakes. I would always be tempted but never did as was scared to death of snakes.
I doubt very seriously if there were snakes lying around anywhere much during those times.
They were eaten. :wink:

Are there leeches in running water, too? 56 years, managed to not know that- hate those things. OH wait- of course there are! Humphrey Bogart in ' African Queen '!- don't anybody tell me that's a movie and proves nothing. Hepburn wouldn't let anyone lie.

You see these action lines, ' Army crossed at Boteler Ford ', some other place. Still a little amazing. Ever walk across just a creek? Slippy darn rocks, places to get your foot stuck in if you don't see it, water pushing against you if it's deep enough. Plus, some horses hate the bejammers out of that kind of thing, refuse then kind of say OK THEN when you're not ready for it. Looking at this pic of Ted's, it just occurred to me what that whole army crossing thing would have looked like- still can't really imagine.
Oh crossing wasn't that bad. They took off their shoes and socks and crossed barefooted. And also took off other parts of clothing sometimes. :giggle:

Post 7 above center right in the background is one crossing.
By the way, I am sure they are not exactly as they were then.
The next crossing is in the center and there are some ruins of the building shown in the first picture.
The 3rd crossing I didnt have an angle to get it in the picture but it barely out of the picture to the left.