Booth's horses

welcome2.jpg
And from the Four Footed Friends of the Civil War forum.
t168517_65.gif

That is a very good question, but, I doubt that it was recorded at the time, or that anybody today knows.

I have done the John Wilkes Booth Escape tour out of DC. It was wonderful. It was suggested by one of the guides that the horses lived out their lives on a farm. Not sure where he read that. He thought that shooting them would have alerted people and also the smell might have given booth away. But this guide was not 100% sure.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the horses Booth and Herald used to get out of The Capital?
Hi and welcome! So glad that you've joined us! I haven't the slightest clue as to what happened to the horses, but @Equestriangirl93 might be able to point you in the right direction to someone who would know.
Good question. I don't know the answer but if there is one to be found, someone here is most likely to find it!

Welcome to CWT from the Games & Miniatures forum!
I have done the John Wilkes Booth Escape tour out of DC. It was wonderful. It was suggested by one of the guides that the horses lived out their lives on a farm. Not sure where he read that. He thought that shooting them would have alerted people and also the smell might have given booth away. But this guide was not 100% sure.

I found the answer in the book, Manhunt, by James Swanson. In this detailed account of Booth's escape, Thomas Jones, who was hiding Booth and his accomplice, Herold, determined that their horses were a problem if they were to successfully cross the Potomac. Jones took the horses to a "quicksand morass," shot both of them and sank their bodies.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the horses Booth and Herald used to get out of The Capital?
Welcome from the Ancestry forum! Looks like @infomanpa has the answer! If nobody had answered yet, my suggestion was going to be to check Kauffman's American Brutus. He's got a lot of good information on Booth and the Lincoln Assassination, too.

Back