Booth

8thvacav

Cadet
Hi all,
I don't know if this is the right place for this but here it is.
My niece wants to have a booth at re-enactments. She wants it to look like the period. (1860 to 1865) She will be selling soldiers quilts.
Thanks for your help before hand.
Martin

Martin:

Your neice has a neat idea going for her. To set up a tent in the Sutler's Row should be both simple and complex. She'll need her period dress, of course, and a semi-authentic tent.

I'm going to suppose that she's been to a few reenactments. Observation and careful emulation will do her much good.

Good luck to her.

Ole

Shane- thanks for the vote of confidence there! LOL! Right up my alley. Sheesh, you'd think I know how to get a young woman started in this thing (right Dawna?! ;-) )

A simple tent would probably suffice. I have priced them out allot, since we bought a new one last year, and tend to favore Fall Creek Sutlery or Blockade Runner. Both can be bought on line at their sites. The thing I liked about the Blockade Runner one was the fact that the sod cloth and the double doors were included on the officers tents. Plus a little extra height.

If she is going to display her quilts then she should invest in some easy to move wooden tables, or boards and saw horses. Stay away from plastic tables. They may be lighter, but boy do they look cheapy in a sutlers tent.

As for dress, Martin, have her email me. (which I know you are trying, but I am putting my 2cents worth here for the moment. Ha Ha)

I would add that along with being our fashion/civilian reenactment expert, Jenna is a wonderful person to talk to, and incredibly supportive of reenacting newbies like me :smile:

Dawna

I have seen the Amish display quilts by making two large saw horses (about 5' high w/ one set of legs about a foot higher than the other)drilling holes in the cross pieces and running wooden rods through the holes between the two sawhorses; this allowed a nice display and the way the sawhorses tilted you could see the pattern on each quilt. NOt certain if it was period or not but it certainly looked a lot better and was certainly lighter to carry than folding tables.

I might suggest a look at a baker tent. Fall Creek makes their own tents and I believe they would be happy to put together a custom sutlers tent. Frankly, tents patterns and books are about all I am willing to get from them as they have had some serious quality control issues w/ leathers and uniforms in the past. But their tents are affordable and durable... I actually picked up two today along w/ a set of hoops for a young lady that just joined the unit.

Dawna- you are too sweet you know that?! I can't even begin to call myself an expert, that's for sure, for the more I find I learn, the less I seem to know. It's crazy!

FallCreeks tents are very nice. They do do a great job. So I have to agree with Shane on that. I have not had a need to buy any uniforms, since my husband is a blacksmith and the GoodWill $2.00 shirts he dirties up fast enough. I do buy him pants though, and have found that the 36th Illinois Regimental Sutler and Castle Keep have very good wool pants. But you don't need that for your neice. But the hoops are best priced at Fallcreek.

Back