NF Books You Wish Were Written

Non-Fiction
T
The most comprehensive work on Harvey Hill is an unpublished PhD dissertation by Brit K. Erslev, Nearly there: Daniel Harvey Hill, Proponent and Target of the Lost Cause. University of North Carolina, 2011. You can find it on the Internet...

Reactions: Sbc
T
The most comprehensive work on Harvey Hill is an unpublished PhD dissertation by Brit K. Erslev, Nearly there: Daniel Harvey Hill, Proponent and Target of the Lost Cause. University of North Carolina, 2011. You can find it on the Internet...
Thanks for that information. As Eric indicates, Bridges' scope is pretty truncated.

I'm a little surprised by the choice to write Atlanta next. Setting aside his apparently one-off book on Sigel in the Shenandoah, since his Chickamauga trilogy, Powell has co-written a full treatment of the Tullahoma Campaign with Eric and contributed a book on part of the Chattanooga campaign for the Emerging Civil War series. Thus a multi-volume treatment of Chattanooga would seem like the logical next step. Especially since Chattanooga hasn't (that I can recall) really been touched in the 25 years (since Cozzen, plus Sword's Mountains Touched with Fire) and has never had a multi-volume treatment that I'm aware of.

In contrast, the Atlanta Campaign not only has Castel's work (which still seems regarded as one of the best campaign studies ever written) published only a couple years before Cozzens, but since then has gotten two mainstream, albiet Atlanta-centric, treatments (War Like the Thunderbolt and The Bonfire) plus Earl Hess books on Kennesaw Mountain, Ezra Church, and fortifications during the campaign. Also, Ecelbarger's The Day Dixie Died (and I feel like I might be forgetting something else).

(I'm not counting entries the Emerging Civil War series in this comparison.)

Is this Dave's decision or his publisher's?

Regardless, I do look forward to anything Powell writes. I'm sure he'll have some interesting analysis of Johnston and Hood.
Unfortunately, aside from Castel's broad campaign study, a nice book by Brad Butkovich on Pickett's Mill, and Steve Davis's succinct "Heavy Battalions" book, any tactical/detailed, pre-Kennesaw coverage of the campaign (Resaca, New Hope Church, Snake Creek Gap, etc) is abysmal IMHO. Same goes for Jonesboro.

Thanks for that information. As Eric indicates, Bridges' scope is pretty truncated.
Sure! Erslev's study examines Hill's role as a soldier, educator, and spokesman for the Lost Cause (and himself). PhD Advisor was Joseph T. Glatthaar....

Last edited:
Reactions: Sbc
Back