Books on weapons, uniforms/clothes and equipment used by the North and South.

Mr King

First Sergeant
I highly recommend Echoes of Glory-3 book set. One for the South and the other for the North. The third book is an atlas book that covers the campaigns and battles on the great war.

If ya'll have any other books that you recommend, post them here.

Barry, Craig L., The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy-Lock, Stock and Barrel, Watchdog Press, 2006.

Coates, Earl J. & McAulay, John D., Civil War Sharps Carbines & Rifles, Thomas Publications, 1996.

Coates, Earl J. & Thomas, Dean S., An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms, Thomas Publications, 1990.

Coggins, Jack, Arms and Equipment of the Civil War, Bradfoot Publishing, 1962.

Edwards, William B., Civil War Guns, The Stackpole Company, 1962.

Fuller, Claud E., Springfield Shoulder Arms 1795-1865, S&S Firearms, 1986.

Fuller, Claud E., The Rifled Musket, The Stackpole Company, 1958.

Gluckman, Arcadi, Identifying Old US Muskets, Rifles & Carbines, Stackpole Company, 1959.

Hazlett, James C., Olmstead, Edwin, Parks, M. Hume, Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War, University of Illinois Press, 2004.

Houze, Herbert G., Colt Rifles & Muskets from 1847-1870, Krause Publications, 1996.

McAulay, John D., Rifles of the U.S. Army 1861-1906, Andrew Mowbray Publishers, 2003.

Miller, David, The illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War, MBI Publishing, 2001.

Reilly, Robert M., United States Military Small Arms 1816-1865, Eagle Press, 1970.

Smith, Graham, Civil War Weapons, KP Books, 2005.

Sword, Wiley, Firepower from Abroad The Confederate Enfield and the LeMat Revolver, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1986.

Sword, Wiley, Sharpshooter: Hiram Berdan, his famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1988.

Thomas, Dean S., Cannons An Introduction to Civil War Artillery, Thomas Publications, 1994.

Todd, Frederick P., American Military Equipage 1850-1872 vol 2, Company of Military Historians, 1977.

Todd, Frederick P., American Military Equipage 1850-1872 vol 3, Company of Military Historians, 1977.

Whisker, James A., Hartzler, Daniel D. & Yantz, Larry W., Firearms from Europe, Tom Rowe Books, 2002.

Man! Thanks for long list of book recommendations, jonah_steele!

I really enjoy the 3 book set Echoes of Glory and my step-grandfather has a set. Since he doesn't seem to have as much interest in studying the war like he used to I may ask and offer to buy the set from him. But I've always wanted to know more than what the books offered.

Thanks to you, I'll have to check these books out online or in bookstores.

jonah_steele, I would like to ask you a question. What is your recommendation on just one book that covers the most with details and photos on firearms, cannons and swords/knives?

Joe Bilby - Small Arms at Gettysburg
Joe Bilby - Civil War Firearms
Joe Bilby - A Revolution in Arms: A History of the First Repeating Rifles
Earl Hess - The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat

The American Civil War Source Book - Philip Katcher

Not my favourite read, but very useful. If you want information like the exact type of buttons used, how many bandsmen were assigned to a regiment or details on naval insignia, then this is the one.

Smith, Graham, Civil War Weapons, KP Books, 2005. Has many good photos but some minor mistakes... under $20 as well.

Coates, Earl J. & Thomas, Dean S., An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms, Thomas Publications, 1990. Usually under $10

Coggins, Jack, Arms and Equipment of the Civil War, Bradfoot Publishing, 1962. Has no photos but many good line drawings.

Edwards, William B., Civil War Guns, The Stackpole Company, 1962. IMO the one book that is MUST have in any collection.

I'm also going to second Gary's suggestion on Bilby, Joseph G., Civil War Firearms, Combined Books, 1996., an priceless work.

W/ the exception of Edwards work all can be had for under $20 and all are books I would consider vital to the CW arms library.

Well, after doing some looking through Amazon.com I came across this book: The Illustrated Encylopedia of Civil War Collectibles: A Comprehensive Guide to Union and Confederate Arms, Equipment, Uniforms, and Other Memorabila by Chuck Lawliss. For over $2.00 plus shipping and over 300 pages I got it purchased. I have not read it and I'm still waiting for the book to come in the mail. Has anyone on here read it? I'd like to hear your reviews.

Smith, Graham, Civil War Weapons, KP Books, 2005. Has many good photos but some minor mistakes... under $20 as well.

hey johan_steele, after reading the product discription on Amazon.com and your recommendation I'm interested in this book but I have a question. What minor mistakes does this book have?

It mislables a couple weapons in the photos. Minor but very annoying. Worthwhile for the price of under $20 though just for all the photo examples. No index is annoying though.

I'd strongly recommend, if still available, the three book series, Rebels & Yankees... Fighting men, commanders, and Battlefields. Written by William C. Davis. Large coffee table size with hundreds of photos of uniforms, swords, flags, guns, and general stuff!
ISBN 0-8317-3264-4
ISBN 0-8317-1505-7
ISBN 0-8317-0702-X

Back