Books on the Black Soldiers

What are some of the best books for an overview of black soldiers during the war? Preferably something general that covers Washington's policy towards black enlistment, and the actual experiences of blacks as well.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
What are some of the best books for an overview of black soldiers during the war? Preferably something general that covers Washington's policy towards black enlistment, and the actual experiences of blacks as well.
Welcome.

"Like Men Of War: Black Troops In The Civil War"
by Noah Andre Trudeau

Trudeau's book is great, but for a comprehensive treatment of nearly every aspect of the USCT, I recommend William Dobak's Freedom By The Sword. It has the additional benefit of being available as a free download from the army's Center for Military History: https://history.army.mil/html/books/030/30-24/CMH_Pub_30-24.pdf

Other great books include Joseph Glatthaar's Forged in Battle, which deals with the relations between officers and enlisted personnel in the USCT and, covering similar ground but from a more specialized perspective, Ofele's German-Speaking Officers in the U.S. Colored Troops. There's also T. W. Higginson's wartime work, Army Life in a Black Regiment, and A Grand Army of Black Men, a rare collection of letters written during the war by African American soldiers and sailors.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
The Sa

The Sable Arm black troops in the Union Army 1862-1865 University of Kansas Press.
Leftyhunter
Go Old School with The Sable Arm, first published in 1966.

It's been on my bookshelf for decades. My version is so old the subtitle is Negro Troops in the Union Army 1861-1865.

Go Old School with The Sable Arm, first published in 1966.

It's been on my bookshelf for decades. My version is so old the subtitle is Negro Troops in the Union Army 1861-1865.
Like any historical subject it's good to get different perspectives. A copy may also be very inexpensive or a library may have a copy.
Leftyhunter

Interestingly enough the Union Army was not the first army to deploy black soldiers on American soil. The British Army actually used freed slaves and or gave them. and their freedom if they enlisted in the British Army and fought the Continental Rebels .
A very interesting academic paper would be one that compares and contrasts the USCT to other segregated armies.
Leftyhunter

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
Interestingly enough the Union Army was not the first army to deploy black soldiers on American soil. The British Army actually used freed slaves and or gave them. and their freedom if they enlisted in the British Army and fought the Continental Rebels .
A very interesting academic paper would be one that compares and contrasts the USCT to other segregated armies.
Leftyhunter
Black soldiers served in the Revolutionary army as well, most notably in a segregated Rhode Island regiment:

https://www.army.mil/article/97705/black_soldiers_in_the_revolutionary_war

Leftyhunter
Good idea. I'm actually writing a paper on some local colored troops. I just need a general "introduction" as it were to open the topic.