Books and movies

Fallenrebel

Cadet
Can anyone give the names of any books or movies that would show me how confederate soldiers looked and talked like? Like common phrases of that day and little things like what kind of pipes they used and thank all of you who've been helping me.

Can anyone give the names of any books or movies that would show me how confederate soldiers looked and talked like? Like common phrases of that day and little things like what kind of pipes they used and thank all of you who've been helping me.
The first place to start is a book by Webb Garrison, The Encyclopedia of Civil War Usage. Published by Cumberland House Printing, 2001. ISBN 1-58182-186-7 It also includes naval terms.

Diaries and first hand accounts, such as All for The Union (Elisha Hunt Rhodes) Co Aytch (Samuel Rush Watkins) Rebel Private Front and Rear (William Fletcher) Gone for a Soldier ( Alfred Bellard) Berry Benson's Civil War Book (Berry Benson) Hard Tack and Coffee (Billings) are all pretty good first hand accounts. Stay away from movies.. they are notoriously inaccurate. Echoes of Glory US and CS editions, Th Blue and The Gray by Heny Steele Commanger, The Confederate Soldier in Camp on the March and in Battle by Cocoa, any of the Photographic histories of the war, LOC collection online for images.... sad and sick as it can be, images of Confederate dead are often a great source of information on dress. I would also suggest Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown by Tom Arliskas, Uniforms of the Civil War by Smith & Field. there is a ton of stuff out there..... OH, and stay away from Fifty Shades of Gray.... it aint a uniform study. :giggle:

Charles Hayden's Diary, edited by Stephen Sears, is a must read. Like most diaries tho you will read endless days of weather reports :wink:

Can also look into the Southern Historical Society's publications post Civil War, as it was Confederate based publication and how they speak is transmitted to paper.

Under Both Flags - written for and by Civil War Veterans (1896) - I have originals and don't know if I would trust the re-print. There will be photographs in there, a lot of naval pictures and stories in addition to Infantry. And, you won't find it hateful to either side. There are women who tell their story also.

Being mindful that there are many 'class' levels so speaking in one's class -- High Society/High education, middle-class, lower class--

M. E. Wolf

As said above, stay away from the movies if you're looking for historical accuracy. Imo, there has yet to be an ACW film made that depicts the war authentically enough for it to be taken seriously.

As others mentioned, I would stick with reading memoirs and diaries by those who lived it. Aside from those mentioned earlier, you also might want to check out Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia by Carlton McCarthy.

Also look at a lot of photographs from the era, especially those taken outdoors, in the field, to get a sense of what they looked like and what their attitude was.

The Columbia Rifles Research Compendiums (1st and 2nd editions) have long been out of print. Whether you're new to reenacting or an experienced reenactor wanting to take his impression to the next level, they are a must have. While intended for those doing Union impressions, I recommend every reenactor/living historian read them.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/columbia-rifles-research-compendiums.128014/#post-1406653

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Back