NF Books about the Army of Tennessee

Non-Fiction
Larry Daniel wrote another very interesting book entitled: "Cannoneers in Gray: The Field Artillery of the Army of the Tennessee, 1862-1865" as well as "Soldiering in the Army of the Tennessee: A Portrait of Life in a Confederate Army." I highly recommend these books or any books written by Daniel. David.
Never heard of the Daniels book,will have to check it out.

Some of the basics include:
1. Thomas Connelly's 'Army of the Heartland' - this one and the one below focus primarily of the high command
2. "Autumn of Glory" - Connelly
3. "Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee - Larry Daniel
4. "The Army of Tennessee" - Stanley Horn - dated but still a classic
Good books all.

I second Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee by Larry J. Daniel. Good statistical and social study of the rank and file of the army.

As for first hand accounts, The Civil War Memoir of Philip Daingerfield Stephenson, D.D. is also a good one by an enlisted man who served in the AoT throughout most of the war, first in the 13th Arkansas Infantry and later with the Washington Artillery.

One of Cleburne's Command: The Civil War Reminiscences and Diary of Capt. Samuel T. Foster - great account by a company commander in Granbury's Texas Brigade.

Liddell's Record - memoirs of Brig. Gen. John R. Liddell.

A Carolinian Goes to War - memoirs of Brig. Gen. Arthur M. Manigault.

Also a lot of biographies of Patrick Cleburne out there. Stonewall of the West by Craig L. Symonds and Pat Cleburne: Confederate General by Howell and Elizabeth Purdue are two of the best.
I love soldiers' memoirs. Good list.

Back