1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Books about the Army of Tennessee

Discussion in 'Book & Movie Review Tent' started by ReadingThroughHistory, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ReadingThroughHistory

ReadingThroughHistory Private

I'm just curious as to what books about the Army of Tennessee each of our members would consider to be the best. I read a book called The Army of Tennessee back in 1995 in high school, and I also enjoyed the Confederacy's Last Hurrah. Any others that you would highly suggest reading? It's a topic I would like to revisit again.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. highplainsdrifter59

highplainsdrifter59 Sergeant

For a good read of a soldiers view I would recommend Co Aytch by Sam Watkins. He has his own little ...well let's just say tall tales in it but overall a good and fun read.

JohnW in E.TN likes this.
  4. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

Thomas Connelly has a two voluses on the Army of Tennessee.the conditions volume is titled"Autumn of Glory" but at the moment i'm brain dead as to the title of the first volume.

Pat Young likes this.
  5. Malingerer

Malingerer Sergeant Major

Some of the basics include:
    1. Thomas Connelly's 'Army of the Heartland' - this one and the one below focus primarily of the high command
    2. "Autumn of Glory" - Connelly
    3. "Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee - Larry Daniel
    4. "The Army of Tennessee" - Stanley Horn - dated but still a classic

Jimklag, Eric Calistri, Sbc and 2 others like this.
  6. AUG351

AUG351 Captain Forum Host

I second Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee by Larry J. Daniel. Good statistical and social study of the rank and file of the army.

As for first hand accounts, The Civil War Memoir of Philip Daingerfield Stephenson, D.D. is also a good one by an enlisted man who served in the AoT throughout most of the war, first in the 13th Arkansas Infantry and later with the Washington Artillery.

One of Cleburne's Command: The Civil War Reminiscences and Diary of Capt. Samuel T. Foster - great account by a company commander in Granbury's Texas Brigade.

Liddell's Record - memoirs of Brig. Gen. John R. Liddell.

A Carolinian Goes to War - memoirs of Brig. Gen. Arthur M. Manigault.

Also a lot of biographies of Patrick Cleburne out there. Stonewall of the West by Craig L. Symonds and Pat Cleburne: Confederate General by Howell and Elizabeth Purdue are two of the best.

7. Klaudly

Klaudly Corporal

'Cannoneers in Gray: The Field Artillery of the Army of Tennessee' - Larry Daniel
    'Cavalry of the Heartland: The Mounted Forces of the Army of Tennessee' - Edward G. Longacre
    'Army of the Heartland' - Thomas Connelly
    'Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee' - Larry Daniel
    'The Army of Tennessee' - Stanley Horn

CSA Today likes this.
  8. ReadingThroughHistory

Thanks for the input, everyone. I wonder if that Stanley Horn book is the one I read in high school?

I believe I will check out Army of the Heartland.

9. ReadingThroughHistory

Of course, I ended up ordering four of these titles. :smile: I wish I had the $268.00 to buy the "new" version of the 1968 edition of the Army of Tennessee. It is the one I read from the library back in high school. It looks sweet.

51dbH8iXt5L._SX270_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Malingerer likes this.
  10. Malingerer

I think you'll enjoy it - it was one of the first books I ever read about the AOT and Horn is a good writer and sympathetic to his subject. There has since been a wealth of new material discovered that needs to make its way into a new, comprehensive study but this is a wonderful introduction. Enjoy.

11. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I have this book.

Please don't think I'm giving it a bad review, but I've never been able to finish it.

For me, it reads too much like a very dry text book, and only covers the Army of Tennessee during 1861 and 1862.
    On the other hand, you may enjoy it very much.

You asked for opinions. :whistling:

12. ReadingThroughHistory

I received my hardback copy of The Army of Tennessee today. No book cover. TICKED! I's have just bought the newer print paperback version if I had known that. I wanted it as a type of collector's edition.

13. 20thncarolina

20thncarolina Corporal

If you got it through Amazon, their customer service department is very good.

14. jackt62

jackt62 Sergeant Major

The two Connelly books and the Stanley Horn book are the classics to read about the overall history of the AOT.

15. Jamieva

Jamieva 1st Lieutenant

Keep in mind the Connelly books are 40+ years old and some of the items in there have been debunked by more recent scholarly work. These 3 books don't cover the entire war period for the AoT, but I would recommend Peter Cozzens 3 battle books on Stones River, Chickamauga and Chattanooga.

nitrofd and novushomus like this.
  16. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

I just received today th book"Banners to The Breeze",Kentucky Campaign,Corinth,and Stones River by Earl Hess.I haven't read it yet but what ever Earl Hess writes is always worth reading.it was published in2000 so it is newer then the other books.

17. Jamieva

Jamieva 1st Lieutenant

Hess also has books on Kennesaw Mountain and Ezra Church

novushomus likes this.
  18. Malingerer

"Liddell's Record" which is a sort of reminiscence by St. John Liddell is one of my favorite memoirs by an AOT brigade commander - it's highly opinionated, partisan and provincial but honest and a very insightful look at the inner workings of AOT middle management.

novushomus likes this.
  19. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

I have about 8 of Hess' books.as including one on fortifications in the eastern thearter.actually a book to learn a lot about the construction and placement of earthworks.

20. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

His book which really was just for his family does give a different insight especially if you are interested in Bragg.it is a book worth reading.

21. christian soldier

christian soldier Sergeant

Larry Daniel wrote another very interesting book entitled: "Cannoneers in Gray: The Field Artillery of the Army of the Tennessee, 1862-1865" as well as "Soldiering in the Army of the Tennessee: A Portrait of Life in a Confederate Army." I highly recommend these books or any books written by Daniel. David.

nitrofd likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)