Book Store

Johnny Rube

Cadet
Thought I would share with everyone here a bookstore I discovered online. Perhaps you all already know about it, but a year ago it was new to me. I've bought perhaps two dozen books from them and have been very satisfied with their prices, service, etc.

So, if you don't know about this place, check out:

http://www.hamiltonbooks.com

Their books are often those that have been around for several years, but are discounted to amazing prices. For example, I recently bought Duane Schultz's "The Most Glorious Fourth -- Vicksburg and Gettysburg" for $4.95. This is a hard cover book that was published in 2002 by Norton with an original retail price of $27.95. This book was listed as Shopworn on their web site, and the only thing I see is a spot less than an inch long on the jacket where the color is worn off.

I have been purchasing the Time-Life 40th Anniversary editions of Shelby Foote's Civil War and also got "Second Manassas to Pocotaligo" recently, which was priced at $6.95. Some of their books are softcover books, but all of them are the large paperbacks, or at least those I have bought are the large ones.

Newer books are priced higher, but still are discounted to less than their usual retail price. You may know that a Publisher named Castle Books has bought the copyrights to some older publications and has re-published them. My two books by Catton on General Grant (Grant Moves South, and Grant Takes Command) were re-published by Castle. They are fine books, but they don't have any photographs, and no illustrations other than a map here and there.

Hamilton has, almost any category of books (besides Civil War) that you might be interested in. Also, no matter how many books you order, the shipping and handling charge is only $3.50 per order.

There has been, in recent months, a bit of a lag in receiving the books. I used to get them within about ten days from the time I ordered them. My last two orders have taken close to 3 weeks to arrive, and I'm not sure if that is just slow mail service to my area, or the result of a busy time for the book store.

The downside is that they don't ship outside of the U.S.

They send out a newspaper-style catalogue every month. In any event, if you're not familiar with Hamilton's, it's definitely worth a look-see.

J.R.

Johnny:

Thank you for the information on the Hamilton Book Store. I was most enthused until you mentioned that Hamilton's do not ship outside the U.S! I prefer to acquire my books "shopworn" (who wants a new, unmusty smelling CW book?) and this would have been a great opportunity, as my CW collection sits at a paltry dozen books.

Dawna

dawna said:
Johnny:

Thank you for the information on the Hamilton Book Store. I was most enthused until you mentioned that Hamilton's do not ship outside the U.S! I prefer to acquire my books "shopworn" (who wants a new, unmusty smelling CW book?) and this would have been a great opportunity, as my CW collection sits at a paltry dozen books.

Dawna

Yep....I thought about you and Bill when I typed that. I hope you have a good library available to you. For me, a drive to the nearest bookstore is 120 miles round trip. I usually poke around Barnes & Noble when I get to the city; it's always a treat.

JR

I buy from Morningside sometimes and C. Clayton Thompson on others. Depends on who has what in stock. I often buy from the National Park Site bookstore because I get to review it before purchasing. You also have assurances that it is mostly accurate because the Chief Park Ranger says "Da" or "Nyet" depending on how good it is.

Gary,
Have to watch the chief historian or head Rangers and their Da or Nyet, as they also have their own biasies against authors, regardless of the quality of the material. Although when in that position they can prevent the selling of anybooks by any author.
I also buy from Morningside, and C. Clayton, amazon, and Abebooks. Scholarsbookshelf just sent me 5 more books, and from Hamilton received 9 today, 2 of them SiFi, on top of the last order or 6 or 7 books last month. Another site I have tried was Strandbooks.com of NY city. Found some nice books no one else had.
The recent order was on 4/18 and received today, not bad in my Opinion. Have seen 2 wks for delivery, but thats sometimes the post office and holidays causing the extended time.
If interested in Trans-Mississippi, you might check out Camp Pope Bookshop in Iowa City. http://www.camppope.com Large selection of some unusual books.
Chuck in IL.

Chuck,

I bought from Hamilton too and not only books on the Mother of American Family Feuds. The two sellers I recommended are specialty sellers who have books that Hamilton won't have. At other times, I couldn't find a book on the net and have found it at a National Park Site bookstore (Revolutionary War Col. Tarleton's account of the war in the South is a good example).

Back