ENDED Book sets

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Need to liquify some assets. First up, the three-volume set of "Lee's Lieutenants." Believed to be first editions. Volume one is 1942; Volume two is 1943; Volume three is 1944,

All have intact dust jackets and mylar covering. They're sound and, while not "tight" there are no cracked spines or bunkled edges. I paid $135 for them in '95. $200, postage paid, will put them in your library. By the way, the edges are thoroughly smoke stained.

As soon as I've determined a value, Adam Badeu, R.E. Lee, Lincoln Finds a General, Allan Nevins and Gideon Welles will also be offered. Bids will receive priority consideration.

Ole

Hi ole, have lee's lieutenants,looking to upgrade my copy of Mary Livermore's My Story of the War. My copy in pretty bad shape thinking of breaking out plates and flags, framing for presents. Thanks

Thanks for the response, Ellsworth. The sets I'm offering or about to offer are sets I've accumulated over a lot of years. I'll not read them anytime soon, so they might as well go to someone who will. I'm a freak for first edition hardbacks. But my time is limited and there is someone out there, younger, who will value them more than I do. It's time to let them go.

Ole

The three volumes of Lee's Lieutenants are a very tempting purchase, Ole. I own a copy of the three-in-one abridged volume, but the full volumes are well worth the added price and shelf space of getting them in that form.

Will have to check my available monetary resources and get back to you before making any commitments, but I would strongly suggest anyone with any interest in the AoNVA's structure consider taking Ole up on this.

Freeman may be overfond of Lee and incapable of a nasty word about any Confederate general, but his research is still extremely valuable.

Kind words indeed, Elennsar. Dear One wants to go to NYC next May with about 5 buddies. I did the whatever you want thingy. She'd probably rather go with me, but I'm such a party pooper that she's better off with her friends. But I need to raise the funds and I guess I can live without Freeman. Next up is "R.E.Lee" by the same author. First editions.

Ole

Need to liquify some assets. First up, the three-volume set of "Lee's Lieutenants." Believed to be first editions. Volume one is 1942; Volume two is 1943; Volume three is 1944,

All have intact dust jackets and mylar covering. They're sound and, while not "tight" there are no cracked spines or bunkled edges. I paid $135 for them in '95. $200, postage paid, will put them in your library. By the way, the edges are thoroughly smoke stained.

As soon as I've determined a value, Adam Badeu, R.E. Lee, Lincoln Finds a General, Allan Nevins and Gideon Welles will also be offered. Bids will receive priority consideration.

Ole

You may not need the help, but Eller's Bookstore on Elliston Place in Nashville might be able to help with the pricing, or consider purchasing the lot. These folks are mighty proud of their collection of civil war books. I've been browzing in there for years, careful not to touch.

You may not need the help, but Eller's Bookstore on Elliston Place in Nashville might be able to help with the pricing, or consider purchasing the lot. These folks are mighty proud of their collection of civil war books. I've been browzing in there for years, careful not to touch.

I, too, have been to Elder's Book Store numerous times over the years.

The following is not an advertisement but is merely information offered to Ole as an aid in his bookset project:

Elder's Bookstore
2115 Elliston Place
Nashville, TN, U.S.A.
Tel: 615-327-1867

About Elder's Bookstore
In early 1930, a recent graduate of Vanderbilt University opened a small shop on Nashville's Fifth Avenue, where the L&C Tower would someday stand. It was the beginning of the Great Depression and Charles Elder was taking a gamble. But, he did know one thing. He loved history and he loved books. That small shop was the beginning of Elder's Bookstore, one of the landmarks of Tennessee and the South. Today, in its 74th year, Elder's Bookstore is the oldest general bookstore in continuous operation in Nashville. If you have not visited our store, we invite you to stop in while you are in Nashville and browse. You may never want to leave our world of books. Charles Elder was the dean of Nashville booksellers until his retirement at the age of 93. He started our store in the depths of the Great Depression. Nationally known as an expert on ephemera and manuscripts, he is also widely versed in maps and early Tennessee history. He is a winner of the Frances Neel Cheney Award by the Tennessee Library Association and was honored by the Tennessee Booksellers Convention in 1990 for his lifetime of service to the industry. Since his retirement, his son Randy Elder has become owner and operator of the business. From his earliest days, Randy Elder has been around books, reading them, and then helping his father buy and sell them. He started as a partner and sales manager and is now owner. He has been responsible for the store's rise to the status of foremost re-publisher of early Tennessee and Nashville history books. Under his direction, Elder's has become one of the premier dealers in 20th century literature - particularly Southern Literature - in the United States.

HOURS OF OPERATION: Our hours are 10-4:30 CST Mon-Fri and 10-4 CST on Saturday. We are closed on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back