Sherman Book Review - William Tecumseh Sherman by J.L. McDonough

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
WILLIAM TECUMSEH SHERMAN
In the Service of My Country, a Life
By James Lee McDonough
Illustrated. 816 pp. W.W. Norton & Company. $39.95.

Historians cannot get enough of William Tecumseh Sherman, and no wonder. As multiple biographies have noted over the last 30 years, he is a particularly modern figure — high-strung, quotable, irritable, irreligious, prone to bouts of anxiety and depression. One earlier Sherman biographer, the British military writer Basil Liddell Hart, called him “the first modern general.”

But Sherman was also very much a man of his time. He managed to witness a good part of the key events of the 19th century in the United States, from the gold rush to the building of the transcontinental railroad to the near extermination of the Native American tribes. A lifelong lover of good theater (he once stomped out of a poor performance of “Hamlet” in occupied Nashville), he became a New Yorker at the end of his life, purchasing a house at 75 West 71st Street. continued: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/books/review/william-tecumseh-sherman-by-james-lee-mcdonough.html

sherman-horse.jpg

WILLIAM TECUMSEH SHERMAN
In the Service of My Country, a Life
By James Lee McDonough
Illustrated. 816 pp. W.W. Norton & Company. $39.95.

Historians cannot get enough of William Tecumseh Sherman, and no wonder. As multiple biographies have noted over the last 30 years, he is a particularly modern figure — high-strung, quotable, irritable, irreligious, prone to bouts of anxiety and depression. One earlier Sherman biographer, the British military writer Basil Liddell Hart, called him “the first modern general.”

But Sherman was also very much a man of his time. He managed to witness a good part of the key events of the 19th century in the United States, from the gold rush to the building of the transcontinental railroad to the near extermination of the Native American tribes. A lifelong lover of good theater (he once stomped out of a poor performance of “Hamlet” in occupied Nashville), he became a New Yorker at the end of his life, purchasing a house at 75 West 71st Street. continued: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/books/review/william-tecumseh-sherman-by-james-lee-mcdonough.html

View attachment 212976
I have this book. It's in the queue. The NY times review makes me want to read it even more.

Back