Book Review: Guide To North American Steam Locomotives

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I didn't really appreciate steam locomotives while growing up and attending university in Laramie, WY, where the Union Pacific railroad yards were upwind (west) of most of the town and the Big Boy (we usually called them something unprintable) steam locomotives which were added to trains going over Sherman Hill (between Laramie and Cheyenne) sat there blowing off smoke and cinders (lots of cinders!)s before their next trip. That was one town where it was actually better to live on the wrong (west) side of the tracks!

Now I love to see them, and join the crowds turning out with their cameras! It's just too bad they didn't have the steam up on this one (one of those offending cinder producers, now retired) during this historic run!

Right from the beginning, (late 1860's), they needed several extra engines to get over Sherman Hill--just to tie this in to the Reconstruction era!

The first fifty pages provide a general discussion of the North American steam locomotive, beginning with a helpful explanation on how the machines actually work.
Thanks for this. George Drury's Guide to North American Steam Locomotives, Revised Edition, is going on my reading list.

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)