Book defends McClellan's actions during Antietam

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Claude Bauer

Sergeant
I met Steve when he gave a talk on his book “Too Useful to Sacrifice: Reconsidering George B. McClellan’s Generalship in the Maryland Campaign from South Mountain to Antietam,” at the Central Maryland Heritage League prior to publication--it was fascinating to hear him explain his perspective on this topic in person! Steve argues persuasively against the popular theory that McClellan was an incompetent commander during the Maryland Campaign. Ordering my copy today!

rbasin

2nd Lieutenant
I met Steve when he gave a talk on his book “Too Useful to Sacrifice: Reconsidering George B. McClellan’s Generalship in the Maryland Campaign from South Mountain to Antietam,” at the Central Maryland Heritage League prior to publication--it was fascinating to hear him explain his perspective on this topic in person! Steve argues persuasively against the popular theory that McClellan was an incompetent commander during the Maryland Campaign. Ordering my copy today!

While not a huge fan, I don't think Mac was incompetent during that campaign. Just over cautious perhaps.

Joshism

Sergeant Major
I look forward to reading this book and seeing reviews. I hope it gets some attention as I think McClellan is due for a reevaluation, despite how annoying I find some of his more devoted apologists. Mac was undeniably popular and certainly had talent. I wouldn't call him incompetent, but I still consider him overly cautious and a bit narcissistic. I think he would have been better off as General-in-Chief rather than AotP commander. Ultimately, his terrible relationship with Lincoln was going to doom him no matter what position he held.