Bonekemper's "A Victor, Not a Butcher"

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

gary

Captain
Edward Bonekemper's book on Grant. Bonekemper picks up where Catton (Army of the Potomac) and Gordon Rhea (series on Grant's Overland Campaign) left off. He examines Grant's battles and losses and shows that they were less than other generals. He examines the source of the legend of Grant being an unfeeling butcher who threw his men in frontal assaults against entrenched Confederates. He then disproves it and supports his position with numbers and comparisons.

Easy & fun to read. Thumbs up.

BTW, he is appearing before the Peninsula Civil War Round Table in April. I'm bringing my copy for his autograph.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Gary, is this the author that wrote the excellent work on the CS Army in 1864 proving that the CS had more men in the field then than at any other point in the War? I wish I could recall the Title.

gary

Captain
He wrote a book that was critical of Lee, "How Robert E. Lee Lost the War," or something like that. I haven't read it but if he argues that Lee was too aggressive and wasted his men (Malvern Hill, Pickett's Charge) and was too myopic in terms of Virginia and not the war, I would concur. Lee was a great general, but not the strategian that Grant or Lincoln was.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!