NF Blue & Gray Magazine

Non-Fiction
... I have a trip planned to Franklin and Stones River,et.al.,in June and am planning a trip to Mobile Bay within the next 12 months. Ordering the back issues on those battles from Blue & Gray today. This might change my whole approach to studying particular battles and visiting the battlefields.

I realize it may be too late for you now, but the NPS visitor center at Stones River had copies of the Stones River issue of B&G for sale autographed by the park ranger who wrote the text for it. One word of caution (?) about it and other issues I have (Third Winchester/Opequon and Honey Springs): they appeared in concert with relatively new developments in land acquisition and/or interpretation, so are largely geared to that. For example, the Opequon one features almost exclusively the park and its trail system and largely ignores anything outside it. Likewise, the Stones River one concentrates on the paltry land remaining over which that sprawling battle was fought, so there's basically nothing on the opening of the battle or the climax on the third day. That particular issue replaces a much earlier one written before some of the urban sprawl destroyed so much of the land along the Franklin Pike, though they DO acknowledge several historic houses that were used as hospitals that were lost in the process! Also, very early back issues are often rather simplified in nature and are one reason so many sites have been rewritten in enlarged and sometimes (like the Chickamauga series) multi-issue sets.

I realize it may be too late for you now, but the NPS visitor center at Stones River had copies of the Stones River issue of B&G for sale autographed by the park ranger who wrote the text for it. One word of caution (?) about it and other issues I have (Third Winchester/Opequon and Honey Springs): they appeared in concert with relatively new developments in land acquisition and/or interpretation, so are largely geared to that. For example, the Opequon one features almost exclusively the park and its trail system and largely ignores anything outside it. Likewise, the Stones River one concentrates on the paltry land remaining over which that sprawling battle was fought, so there's basically nothing on the opening of the battle or the climax on the third day. That particular issue replaces a much earlier one written before some of the urban sprawl destroyed so much of the land along the Franklin Pike, though they DO acknowledge several historic houses that were used as hospitals that were lost in the process!
Not too late. Haven't placed the order yet. The cart is still open and thanks. :D

Not too late. Haven't placed the order yet. The cart is still open and thanks. :D

I imagine the issues can be ordered directly from Stones River NBP but I bought mine in person when I visited there. Other parks and historic sites seem to stock relevant back issues too. I bought several used issues that were like new for (as I remember) $2 when I visited the Wisconsin CW Museum in Kenosha last July; they might have some left. (There were many more I wanted but had very limited space in my luggage for MORE BOOKS!)

I imagine the issues can be ordered directly from Stones River NBP but I bought mine in person when I visited there. Other parks and historic sites seem to stock relevant back issues too. I bought several used issues that were like new for (as I remember) $2 when I visited the Wisconsin CW Museum in Kenosha last July; they might have some left. (There were many more I wanted but had very limited space in my luggage for MORE BOOKS!)
Yep. Considering I still have Eric Jacobson's book to read before I visit Franklin again in June,I may just order the back issue on Mobile Bay for now.

The best thing to do would be to call Dave or Jason Roth at Blue and Gray Magazine at 1-800-248-4592. Blue and Gray is pretty much a two man operation, father and son out of Columbus, OH, and they will let you know if they have the back issues or if they have sent any to the park visitor centers. They have been my friends for years and will be glad to help you.

Most of the NPS Civil War parks keep the B & G issues in stock and quite a number of them have been converted to a "Visitors Guide" format by removing the advertising. Here at Shiloh/Corinth we carry the issues on Shiloh, Corinth, Davis Bridge, Holly Springs, Tupelo, Brice's Crossroads, and Grierson's Raid. I am a three-time author for Blue & Gray and I cannot give it a high enough recommendation. No less an authority than Ed Bearss says, "Hands down the best Civil War periodical for battlefield trampers."

Tom

The best thing to do would be to call Dave or Jason Roth at Blue and Gray Magazine at 1-800-248-4592. Blue and Gray is pretty much a two man operation, father and son out of Columbus, OH, and they will let you know if they have the back issues or if they have sent any to the park visitor centers. They have been my friends for years and will be glad to help you.

Most of the NPS Civil War parks keep the B & G issues in stock and quite a number of them have been converted to a "Visitors Guide" format by removing the advertising. Here at Shiloh/Corinth we carry the issues on Shiloh, Corinth, Davis Bridge, Holly Springs, Tupelo, Brice's Crossroads, and Grierson's Raid. I am a three-time author for Blue & Gray and I cannot give it a high enough recommendation. No less an authority than Ed Bearss says, "Hands down the best Civil War periodical for battlefield trampers."

Tom
Thank you. Musta been the son that I talked to last week. Visiting Shiloh for the first time in June. Passing by on the way to Franklin/Spring Hill. Probably only have one full day at Shiloh so I'm trying to make the most of it.

hank you. Musta been the son that I talked to last week. Visiting Shiloh for the first time in June. Passing by on the way to Franklin/Spring Hill. Probably only have one full day at Shiloh so I'm trying to make the most of it.

I would highly recommend starting your Shiloh visit here at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center. We are a unit of Shiloh NMP (we are all Shiloh Rangers) and this site was developed to make a visit to Shiloh that much better. The visitor center here is much larger and places Shiloh, Corinth, the whole war in the West into context. Three films, three rooms of exhibits and then a short 30 minute drive to the "big park."

You'll thank me later.

Tom

I would highly recommend starting your Shiloh visit here at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center. We are a unit of Shiloh NMP (we are all Shiloh Rangers) and this site was developed to make a visit to Shiloh that much better. The visitor center here is much larger and places Shiloh, Corinth, the whole war in the West into context. Three films, three rooms of exhibits and then a short 30 minute drive to the "big park."

You'll thank me later.

Tom
I think that was already the plan. I'm riding shotgun with a guy who has been there before. I'll thank you now if you don't mind. :D

Yep. Considering I still have Eric Jacobson's book to read before I visit Franklin again in June,I may just order the back issue on Mobile Bay for now.

Make sure to tour the Spring Hill Battlefield first and read @gunny book entitled "Twenty-Five Hours to Tragedy." Touring this battlefield will assist with your tour of the Franklin Battlefield.

Bill

You'll thank me later.

Tom

Amen!

You'll thank me later.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to tour the Spring Hill Battlefield first and read @gunny book entitled "Twenty-Five Hours to Tragedy." Touring this battlefield will assist with your tour of the Franklin Battlefield.

Bill
It is a guided battlefield tour with the Hood's Texas Brigade Association Re-activated. I believe gunny will be involved. Sam Hood,Eric Jacobson,Thomas Cartwright and Robert Hicks definitely are guides and speakers. I still have Eric's book to read and we are making a stop at Fort Pillow too so I'm trying to squeeze in a book about that too.

It is a guided battlefield tour with the Hood's Texas Brigade Association Re-activated. I believe gunny will be involved. Sam Hood,Eric Jacobson,Thomas Cartwright and Robert Hicks definitely are guides and speakers. I still have Eric's book to read and we are making a stop at Fort Pillow too so I'm trying to squeeze in a book about that too.

Sounds like a blast!!!

I received a personal tour of the Franklin Battlefield by Thomas Cartwright and Jamie Gillum two years ago. I was a pig in slop!!!

Have fun and take a ton of photos. And please tell Gunny, "Semper Fi."

Bill

Sounds like a blast!!!

I received a personal tour of the Franklin Battlefield by Thomas Cartwright and Jamie Gillum two years ago. I was a pig in slop!!!

Have fun and take a ton of photos. And please tell Gunny, "Semper Fi."

Bill
I saw your thread. Enjoyed it very much too.

I was just listening to an interview with Jim Ogden and he recommended reading the five issues of Blue & Gray Magazine that covered Chickamauga for a good overview of the battle/campaign. I have read on here and elsewhere, folks recommending various issues of the magazine as good overviews of other battles as well. So I have a couple of questions about acquiring back issues:

1. Other than Blue & Gray directly or eBay, are there any good sources for picking up back issues? I'm not looking for collector's quality. Just good reading copies are fine.
  2. It seems the Chickamauga issues are well regarded. What other issues are considered essential or must haves?
  3. Do battlefield bookstores still carry back issues on their particular battles? It seems they would run out at some point?
Thanks!
Thanks again for your post. Great topic and it has generated a lotta good discussion about Blue & Gray Magazine.

Eric's book "For Cause and Country"is a must read even if you are not going to Frankln.I agree with member @Buckeye Bill that member @gunny book is also a very important read to understand Spring Hill which believe to this day nobody really knows what happened.

They really opened my eyes to this brutal and bloody American Civil War conflict.

I dont know if I have all of those issues but i was amazed at the hour by hour account of the troop movements in the maps of the ones I do have.

I also recommend the issues on:
Hatchie Bridge
Helena
John W Booth escape.

Back