Blue & Gray Magazine "The Battle of Resaca"

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I highly recommend the current issue of the Blue & Gray magazine, "The Battle of Resaca." This issue is dedicated to the "Friends of Resaca Battlefield" organization. It is jammed backed with information and maps. The "General's Tour" is wonderful. The new Camp Creek Valley Battlefield is finished. My son and I visited Resaca, Georgia last spring and the park was not finished. I was still able to take plenty of photos of this area from the road. The rest of the sites are awesome!

resacacvr.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Dave G

Corporal
I have been re-reading Sam Watkins' "Co. Aytch." He usually doesn't give out much information on battles, but describes his unit's fight at the battle of "Resacca." The 1st TN (Hardee's Corps) were buying time for the rest of the army to cross the (Oostanaula) river but found themselves isolated and attacked by Federal cavalry. They formed square with Colonel Field at the centre on his horse yelling orders. They cut down the Federals, killing them by the score. Watkins says this was a new formation that completely confused and routed the enemy.
This is one of the few times I've heard of any forming square in the Civil War. There is a rumour that it happened at Gettysburg, The 1st TN carried it off expertly according to Watkins.
It will be interesting to see if anything related to this incident is mentioned in the Blue & Gray issue.

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I'll definitely have to get this. I hope to visit Resaca in the next year or so.
The Atlanta Campaign tour was a blast!

We started out touring Ringgold Gap and ended up at the Nash Farm (Lovejoy's Station). Then we visited Andersonville.....

Bill