Blue and Gray Magazine

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Two Saturdays ago, November the second, I ordered two back issues from Blue and Gray Magazine. I have heard a lot of good things about the magazine and am considering a subscription. I ordered to previous issues that go along with my current research project. As of right now, my credit card has still not been charged and there has been no sign of the magazine's in the mail.

When I placed my order, I did get an email from them thanking me for my order and gave me an order number. It made no mention on how long it would take or anything like that. At the end of last week, I emailed the magazine and including my order number just to make sure everything was ok with my order. I have not gotten a response from them. Being that I live in Ireland and all I have is a mobile phone (charges are about 4 Euro 50 a minute to call the States) I have been trying to avoid calling them.

I was wondering if anyone on here has ordered back issues of this magazine before and how long it took? I am trying to determine if I should be concerned. I welcome your thoughts.

Eric Wittenberg

2nd Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
The magazine is published here in Columbus, OH, where I live. Dave Roth, the publisher, has been a friend for more than 25 years at this point. It's entirely possible that Dave was out of town putting together one of his General's Tours. I would give it another couple of days and then follow up. Today is a government holiday here in the States, by the way.

That's right, I forgot today was Veterans Day over there. Yes, the Generals Tour he magazine has is one of main reasons I am considering a subscription. I have never seen or read a copy of the magazine but I heard some very good things from some very knowledgeable people that I trust. One of the back issues that I ordered was the issue before the current issue...the one on Missionary Ridge. I thought they might still have some of those laying around. The other I ordered is a good bit older however and they will likely have to reprint it. I wasn't sure if that was the hold up or not. I'll wait a couple of more days. I was just expecting the charges to be on my credit card by now.

nitrofd

Colonel
i have ordered back issues several times.once they came in about a week and other times times it has taken longer like 2-3 weeks.they areresponsible people so i'm sure they will show up soon.By the way the Missionary Ridge issue is a good one.You might consider the 4 issues on Chickamauga as they are well worth then money.

Thank you all for the replies. To be honest, if my credit card would at least have been charged, I would not be concerned...yet anyway. It has now been over a week since my order was placed and there is still no charge on my credit card. I am hoping it is just the case Eric Wittenberg suggested and I will hopefully at least get a response in my email to them as well.

By the way, when I first had someone suggest the magazine to me, I emailed them and asked if they had any plans to do an article on a little known battle, The Battle of Tazewell...even if the whole issue wasn't about the battle, I would still like to see any article related to it. They never responded then either. I will give them till Wendesday and if I have heard nothing and my credit card remains uncharged, then I guess I am going to have to break down and call them.

Just wanted to update everyone.

I just received a reply from Jason Roth at Blue and Gray Magazine. He said that my order is being processed today and will hit the mail tomorrow. So hopefully I will get it by the end of the week.

Eric Wittenberg

2nd Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Just wanted to update everyone.

I just received a reply from Jason Roth at Blue and Gray Magazine. He said that my order is being processed today and will hit the mail tomorrow. So hopefully I will get it by the end of the week.
Jason is Dave's son and business partner. Jason does a good job of running the office and the sales side of things. If he says it will mail tomorrow, count on it doing so.

rickvox79

First Sergeant
i have ordered back issues several times.once they came in about a week and other times times it has taken longer like 2-3 weeks.they areresponsible people so i'm sure they will show up soon.By the way the Missionary Ridge issue is a good one.You might consider the 4 issues on Chickamauga as they are well worth then money.

I just ordered two issues from the Chickamauga series last week. Hoping to get them soon and then get the Missionary Ridge issue as well.

One more question for those who have knowledge about Blue and Gray Magazine. The two back issues I have ordered today, along with a book series that I have was given by a friend of mine a couple of years ago, I will now have Battle maps for all the major battles that interest me with the exception of one. Does anyone know if there is an issue of B and G magazine that has information on the Battle of Utoy Creek? That is the only battle that I am missing a map for. Thanks,

1SGDan

Captain
I ordere a subscription to Blue and Gray while I was in Iraq. Got the first issue (Battle of Richmond) and never saw another one. I suspect that the mail handlers along the way enjoyed them.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I just ordered two issues from the Chickamauga series last week. Hoping to get them soon and then get the Missionary Ridge issue as well.
Be aware that there are no less than FIVE Chickamauga-related issues: the first concerns Tullahoma; the next two are McLemore's Cove and maneuvers leading directly to the battle itself; and of course one for each day of the battle. The disappointing thing about the Chattanooga issue is that it gives short shrift to Lookout Mountain and does little better with Orchard Knob. it's main focus is on Sherman's actions ( or non-actions! ) to the north against Pat Cleburne. ( There may be an earlier separate issue on Lookout alone. )

rickvox79

First Sergeant
Be aware that there are no less than FIVE Chickamauga-related issues: the first concerns Tullahoma; the next two are McLemore's Cove and maneuvers leading directly to the battle itself; and of course one for each day of the battle. The disappointing thing about the Chattanooga issue is that it gives short shrift to Lookout Mountain and does little better with Orchard Knob. it's main focus is on Sherman's actions ( or non-actions! ) to the north against Pat Cleburne. ( There may be an earlier separate issue on Lookout alone. )
Thanks for the heads up. I'm expecting to get both magazines any day now. Looking forward to reading them soon.

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
Does anyone have the two issues on Chancellorsville by Frank O'Reilly? If so then how thoroughly does the second part cover the action on May 3, particularly at Fairview Heights? I've read Sears' book on Chancellorsville, but I was looking for something that delves into a bit more detail there.

nitrofd

Colonel
I do not remember the text but the maps go into great detail of fairview hts. THE MAPS OF NOTE COVER 3 SEPARATE HOURS OF THE BATTLE if this is any help.

Reactions: AUG

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!