Bloody Lane at Antietam Haunted

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
4.jpg

*photo by @White Flint Bill from -https://civilwartalk.com/threads/sharpsburg.158112/#post-2056372

This is new information to me, and I’m picking this information up from the Blue and Grey Education Association on a quick blurb they did on FaceBook. Their author, Barbara Noe Kennedy wrote some short articles on haunted Civil War places.

This is what is new to me: She said that even the Department of Transportation has declared that Bloody Lane at Antietam is haunted. I have never heard that. I mean I believe it is haunted, I have never heard of the DOT declaring anything haunted. What do people know about that? Calling @Stone in the wall. Have you ever heard this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just judging my beliefs, I feel like there has to be something happening not just in that portion of Antietam but much of the battlefield given its history. I'm just not sure if the DoT would admit to something.

That said, the DoD in recent years has become pretty candid about UFOs and put footage out about stuff they can't explain so although I've never seen said report, I can't say it's an impossibility.

It's been said at times you can hear singing (Deck the Halls?) at Bloody Lane. In searching for ghost there, or in The Cornfield would be most ones best bet. Shame that they can't just return to their homes. But strange and sometimes bad things happen to southern boys on the other side of the Potomac. I don't know, wouldn't the NPS over ride the DOT? I think in December they do the lights thing to honor the dead.

English words to the tune "Deck the Halls" weren't written down until 1862 in Great Britain . It seems pretty doubtful "ghosts" from 1862 Maryland would be familiar with them.
Why would the DOT have any jurisdiction over Antietam ? Because there are roads there ??
Yes , they do luminaries at Antietam . Not sure if they will this year .
As usual I call myself an open minded skeptic.

Yes I have heard the story. I have also read about it several times. It is the spectral members of the Irish Brigade yelling or screaming "Faugh a Ballagh! Roughly meaning "Clear the way" in Gaelic. Not the carol Deck the Halls.

This is new information to me, and I’m picking this information up from the Blue and Grey Education Association on a quick blurb they did on FaceBook. Their author, Barbara Noe Kennedy wrote some short articles on haunted Civil War places.

This is what is new to me: She said that even the Department of Transportation has declared that Bloody Lane at Antietam is haunted. I have never heard that. I mean I believe it is haunted, I have never heard of the DOT declaring anything haunted. What do people know about that? Calling @Stone in the wall. Have you ever heard this?

In my opinion, this Barbara Noe Kennedy might have misrepresented the issue if she actually wrote the words "the Department of Transportation has declared that Bloody Lane at Antietam is haunted."

Here is what I found: the US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration has a section on their website titled "General Highway History." I found this link on their website that discusses the ghost stories surrounding Bloody Lane. However, in my opinion, this is a human interest story about folklore. I don't consider this to be a declaration from the Department of Transportation that the road is haunted.

If anybody else has found anything official from the DOT about this, I would be open to reading it.

Two of my great great grandfathers fought in the bloody lane in the 4th NC Infantry and the 30th NC Infantry. They both survived. I know for sure the 4th NC Infantry fought the 69th NY Irish.
My goodness they were both really luck to have survived the carnage. I believe 138 Confederate Soldiers died in the Sunken Lane. I don’t know how many of the Irish Brigade died there. Perhaps someone can tell me .

My goodness they were both really luck to have survived the carnage. I believe 138 Confederate Soldiers died in the Sunken Lane. I don’t know how many of the Irish Brigade died there. Perhaps someone can tell me .

I think the whole Union line of Infantry probably had around 500 men lost maybe more. I thought there was a lot more than 138 men lost in the bloody lane. I am glad they survived the battle as well. Wouldn't want to fight in a earthwork like that being trapped in a fenced in road. There names where Elisha Felton and Wiley H Robbins. After Fredericksburg Wiley left home after being discharged from being sick with flux. Elisha fought threw out the war with the Bloody Fourth 4th NC. He captured 36 yankees at Fredericksburg at Deep Run the 15th NJ Infantry. Anderson was there with his brigade patrolling the area. He founded them all in a boulder.

Apparitions do not appear to those that seek for them, unless it is of some divine will foregoing promotion, money and power. Study Edgar Cayce.
Lubliner.
Yes, Edgar Cayce tells us there are no ‘accidents’ in the universe, and that we are where we are because of the choices we make before birth. It is these choices which shape our destiny and determine the growth of the soul .

View attachment 379177
*photo by @White Flint Bill from -https://civilwartalk.com/threads/sharpsburg.158112/#post-2056372

She is now a free lance journalist and what journalist today hasn't been accused of sensationalism for a story? Sounds like she heard a sound bite and ran with it without research, which seems, an all too familiar practice in today's journalism.

I reached out to her on Muck Rack.com for a clarification and doubt I'll hear back.........

Back