Blockade runner question

kevin klein

Private
I recieved a partialy built blockade runner model and I noticed the model on the box has a union flag. Did the runners fly those to squeak by the blockaders?

I'm sure some did and probably had them on hand, but I can't think of any examples I'm aware of when such a strategy was used. By and large from everything I've read about slipping the blockade gives me the impression that if the navy saw you, the game was probably up regardless and that for the most part on the high seas you probably weren't flying colors. If I had to guess, the most common flag for a blockade runner to have was probably a British red ensign just given how many of them were privately owned British/Canadian/Bahamian ships, followed by secession flags. I know I've read about palmetto flags being found on or flown by blockade runners on several occasions.

I'm guessing you got the Lindberg model of the Harriet Lane. It's been re-boxed a few times with different names, including "Civil War Blockade Runner." The Harriet Lane, originally a US Revenue Cutter, was captured at Galveston and therefore operated under both flags.

Article at Wiki:

I was always wondering why when I built the model of the blockade runner in question here, why it had cannons, whereas most, if not all, blockade runners were unarmed.

Of interest, the Harriet Lane's commander when it was captured by the Confederates was a man named Wainwright, whose son became famous n a later war.

--RoadDog

Back