Impressions Blanket, Late War Rebel.

That's it to me too. Me freezing doesn't improve an event for anyone, ditto for anyone else. Bring whatever you need to stay warm, keep the modern stuff in the vehicle until bed time....heck if it's cold enough you can always sleep in your car. Blast the heat for about 30 minutes to an hour and it should make for a few hours of at least tolerable temps, so long as the doors and windows remain closed.
A couple years ago it made an appearance at a pretty high-end late season event. I slept like a baby all night long and walked it out to the car wrapped up in a little lap robe before breakfast and no one was in the least concerned.

My son wound up freezing on his first attempt at tent camping. We’ve only done pretty mainstream events, so I don’t think many would be looking into his tent. Artillary tend to be off the beated path anyway.

As a civilian, I went the hotel route. When I got up there was frost on the parking lot, and this was in August!

My son wound up freezing on his first attempt at tent camping. We’ve only done pretty mainstream events, so I don’t think many would be looking into his tent. Artillary tend to be off the beated path anyway.

As a civilian, I went the hotel route. When I got up there was frost on the parking lot, and this was in August!
The campaigner style tends to be a mostly infantry phenomenon.

The campaigner style tends to be a mostly infantry phenomenon.
This is true, I've never seen a hardcore cav or arty unit. Progressive, yes, but not full on campaigner style. Honestly if the boys of 61-65 were here to see the hardcores they'd probably think they're crazy for doing this stuff by choice when they don't have to. lol

This is true, I've never seen a hardcore cav or arty unit. Progressive, yes, but not full on campaigner style. Honestly if the boys of 61-65 were here to see the hardcores they'd probably think they're crazy for doing this stuff by choice when they don't have to. lol
I think the campaigner style is attractive for infantry because you have less stuff to start with, and campaigning means less stuff to transport. When you´re already transporting a gun and limber, or a horse whose health and happiness you want to ensure, a little more gear is just not a concern. Progressive for artillery and cavalry tends to concentrate on look, gun drill and battlefield tactics - which are all good concentrations.

I think the campaigner style is attractive for infantry because you have less stuff to start with, and campaigning means less stuff to transport. When you´re already transporting a gun and limber, or a horse whose health and happiness you want to ensure, a little more gear is just not a concern. Progressive for artillery and cavalry tends to concentrate on look, gun drill and battlefield tactics - which are all good concentrations.
My group is a mix. We do "campaigner style" in that we tend to use dog tents or shelter half and carry as little as possible, but all keep our cell phones on us and go to McDonald's or a diner for dinner...but we also don't stay at most events due to a few members work schedules, so it doesn't make sense to lug a bunch of stuff to only be there for the day.

My group is a mix. We do "campaigner style" in that we tend to use dog tents or shelter half and carry as little as possible, but all keep our cell phones on us and go to McDonald's or a diner for dinner...but we also don't stay at most events due to a few members work schedules, so it doesn't make sense to lug a bunch of stuff to only be there for the day.
I prefer to call my style ¨minimalist¨ and it would be about the same. I throw out a shelter tent, and the only furniture I might bring is an old kitchen chair with no back. I eat out of my haversack and cook with my messkit, but also know when to say enough is enough and head to McD´s. I think reenacting has been slow to appreciate modern work schedules. The old push to ¨stay for the whole event¨ or (worse) ¨if you can´t stay for all of it don´t come at all¨ just isn´t feasible anymore. You really have to affirm the dedication of someone who can only daytrip, and make the event as worthwhile for that guy as for the guy who shows up at 5pm Thursday after work.

I prefer to call my style ¨minimalist¨ and it would be about the same. I throw out a shelter tent, and the only furniture I might bring is an old kitchen chair with no back. I eat out of my haversack and cook with my messkit, but also know when to say enough is enough and head to McD´s. I think reenacting has been slow to appreciate modern work schedules. The old push to ¨stay for the whole event¨ or (worse) ¨if you can´t stay for all of it don´t come at all¨ just isn´t feasible anymore. You really have to affirm the dedication of someone who can only daytrip, and make the event as worthwhile for that guy as for the guy who shows up at 5pm Thursday after work.
Too many groups forget reenacting is a HOBBY. It can't always come first. Depending on event and time of year(Gettysburg and the 4th comes to mind), calling out or not showing up could actually get me FIRED. Not worth it.

For camp furniture I'm looking for a good sized log to steal and throw in my trunk and use as a stool. If I can't find one I might buy or build an ammo box to use for that purpose.

Back