Blankenburg - birthplace of Brig. Gen. Steinwehr

That's what I was thinking. So much history in these towns.

Yes, there really is a whole lot of history! People tend to go to Bavaria to see “real“ Germany. But to me, the eastern part of middle Germany is the real thing. During the times of the German Democratic Republic they did not have the money to tear the old houses down, so they sustained. While Heidelberg and Rothenburg in the south are very nice, they are a kind of Disneyland. These little towns in the Harz mountains are unspectacular, but they are true Germany. Plus there are castles and fortresses, some in ruins, some restored as museums and some where somebody still lives in on nearly every high ground! Amazing history of medieval silver mining towns, of knights and emperors and cloisters and miners and farmers ... whatever you want.

What a great thread, Andrea! So that is why these villages are so perfect? We went all over Germany, I'm guessing what you'd think of as tourist places but couldn't help it. Neuschwanstein, Oberammergau, also into Austria but liked the oldest parts best. Never forget how Alps look like crazy clouds in the distance until some tells you no, those are Alps. Or how unnerving your super highway is.

I don't know, may not have taken much persuasion for his wife to stay there. Maybe he had close family there combined with the charm- wouldn't take much.

Thank you all for your warm words about my homeland! I really appreciate that! And believe me, I feel the same about your great country!

Maybe you history buffs will like this charming detail also, a door handle I found at the door of a seemingly abandoned house at Blankenburg.
Isn't it nice to be greeted by an angel everytime you come home?

DSC_0071.JPG

Yes, there really is a whole lot of history! People tend to go to Bavaria to see “real“ Germany. But to me, the eastern part of middle Germany is the real thing. During the times of the German Democratic Republic they did not have the money to tear the old houses down, so they sustained. While Heidelberg and Rothenburg in the south are very nice, they are a kind of Disneyland. These little towns in the Harz mountains are unspectacular, but they are true Germany. Plus there are castles and fortresses, some in ruins, some restored as museums and some where somebody still lives in on nearly every high ground! Amazing history of medieval silver mining towns, of knights and emperors and cloisters and miners and farmers ... whatever you want.
Your country is so beautiful ~ I hope to visit again someday. I was there back when I was 18, but only for about 2 days, and I sadly don't remember much other than I liked the people I met.

The US is truly such a baby in the world. I am reminded of this when I see your historic towns and castles. :smile:

(Oh, and my CW ancestor is listed as being from Westphalia. I have just started exploring that area.)

I am still trying to figure out why he left his house actually is Castle and came to the US.
Actually, I'm not sure if his family lived in that castle. It certainly did not belong to them, it belonged to the "Welfen". For those of you interested in Yellow Press, the husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco, (or actually Caroline of Hannover, as she had married Ernst August Duke of Hannover) is a member of that family and owns that castle. I tried to find out where the Steinwehr family lived, but could not while I was there. Maybe they lived in that castle, his father might have served in the guard, maybe they lived in a house in town. But at Gettysburg he must be reminded a lot of his hometown, the landscape looks very similar. I immediately felt at home in that part of Pennsylvania and I can very well imagine why so many German immigrants settled there to start their new lives. I know Steinwehr did not live there, but he will have recognized the similarity too.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm not sure if his family lived in that castle. It certainly did not belong to them, it belonged to the "Welfen". For those of you interested in Yellow Press, the husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco, (or actually Caroline of Hannover, as she had married Ernst August Duke of Hannover) is a member of that family and owns that castle. I tried to find out where the Steinwehr family lived, but could not while I was there. Maybe they lived in that castle, his father might have served in the guard, maybe they lived in a house in town. But at Gettysburg he must be reminded a lot of his hometown, the landscape looks very similar. I immediately felt at home in that part of Pennsylvania and I can very well imagine why so many German immigrants settled there to start their new lives. I know Steinwehr did not live there, but he will have recognized the similarity too.
Thanks far away friend good to hear from you.

Ok, I’ll bite, what happens in September in Gettysburg? I do have on my bucket list to attend a ball there.

Ok, I’ll bite, what happens in September in Gettysburg? I do have on my bucket list to attend a ball there.
@Mrs. V , this is an old thread, started in 2016 and the unforgettable event that took place that September was the CWT reunion. @War Horse had put together a wonderful intinery for us and @W. Richardson had dubbed it "September to Remember". Friendships were formed or/and confirmed and we learned a LOT. So I'm afraid that cannot be repeated...

As it happens I just came across a pretty good biographical article about Adolph von Steinwehr. Well worth reading:

http://loyolanotredamelib.org/php/report05/articles/pdfs/Report45Pohlsanderpp81-100.pdf

Forgive me, friends, I just became aware that @Pat Young had posted this same link much earlier! So all laurels go to him!

Three words....Two credit cards:bounce:
I stayed at the Quality inn so the Avenue robbed my wallet every day, loved Gettysburg Joe's, the staff were great, can't make September but I will return one day....Say Hi to all at the mine
We stayed there in June for a few days. It's a great location. We are heading back for a couple more days in October and staying here again. We did not go in the mine but have got to go this time around.

Last edited:
Back