Blankenburg - birthplace of Brig. Gen. Steinwehr

I have been told that modern day Steinwehr Ave. in Gettysburg is a challenge for every CW buff's wallet. But who was Adolph von Steinwehr?
adolph-von-steinwehr-large.JPG

He was born in 1822 in Blankenburg, in the Duchy of Brunswick, Germany. Coming from a military family, young Adolph attended the Brunswick Military Academy from where he graduated in 1841 to become a Lieutenant in the Brunswick Army. Serving for six years, Steinwehr grew dissatisfied and elected to move to the United States in 1847. Arriving at Mobile, AL, he found employment as an engineer with the US Coastal Survey. As the the Mexican Ametican War was underway, Steinwehr sought a position with a combat unit but was declined. Disappointed, he decided to return to Brunswick two years later with his American-born wife, Florence Mary.
Unable to adjust to life in Germany again, he immigrated permantly to the US in 1854.
Initially settling in Wallingford, CT, he later moved to a farm in New York. Active in the German-America community, Steinwehr proved well-placed to raise a largely German regiment when the Civil War began in April 1861. Organizing the 29th New York Volunteer Infantry, he was commissioned as the regiment's colonel in June. Reporting to Washington, DC that summer, Steinwehr's regiment was assigned to Colonel Dixon S. Miles' division in Brigadier General Irvin MacDowell's Army of Northeastern Virginia.
Read more about Steinwehr here:
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od...ar-Brigadier-General-Adolph-von-Steinwehr.htm

As I visited his birthplace Blankenburg today, I thought you might like to see how it looks like today, pretty much the same as 160 years ago, when Steinwehr and his wife left to start a new life in the New World. Sorry for the thumbnails being sidewards, I seem to be unable to turn them...
DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Last edited:
I have been told that modern day Steinwehr Ave. in Gettysburg is a challenge for every CW buff's wallet.

Oh, YES IT IS.......:smile:
I love spending at least part of one day along Steinwehr Ave., checking out all the trinket and T-shirt shops. My favorite place is the Dobbins House Tavern and Fine Dining, I eat there at least once while I am there. They also have a bed and breakfast there, I prefer to stay there when I can, and I always stay in the "Gen. Steinwehr Room".

I have been told that modern day Steinwehr Ave. in Gettysburg is a challenge for every CW buff's wallet.
It can be an expensive stroll! Nonetheless, each trip we take to Gettysburg is somehow incomplete without a walk down Steinwehr Avenue. Just wait 'til September and see if you tend to agree...Steinwehr is an experience all of its own!

It can be an expensive stroll! Nonetheless, each trip we take to Gettysburg is somehow incomplete without a walk down Steinwehr Avenue. Just wait 'til September and see if you tend to agree...Steinwehr is an experience all of its own!

As "Souvenir" is my middle name, my wallet will be empty once we'll depart from Gettysburg in September...

He married a Southern woman, but fought for the Union. His wife was in Germany when he died and she never returned to the U.S.

That's most interesting! Do you know if she stayed because she liked it here that much or because she lacked the money to return home or because she dreaded the long journey, all alone on the ship?

Last edited:
Thank you FF what a beautiful little town. As MRB states Steinwehr is a special place with tons of interesting items. It's a challenge for any CW buff to leave. I am really looking forward to seeing what you will purchase in September. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. :smile:

Well, that may be true! But hopefully your heart will be full of fond memories of your time in Gettysburg among friends.

Most definitely it will be!! These days will be unforgettable, and if anybody had told me three years ago that I will return to Gettysburg to meet friends I have never before met in person but do feel very close to, I would have thought that person crazy. Meeting you all on the internet was a miracle and meeting you in person will be another one!

Back