Blank paper cartridges

ronmcc4

Cadet
Howdy - as you can see I'm new here. But - I'm not at all new to firearms including those of historical significance. I reload and shoot a lot - almost all black powder.

I haven't started re-enacting yet but may get into it. I have acquired an 1859 Sharps Cavalry Carbine reproduction by Pedersoli. I'm new to making paper cartridges but am getting the hang of it and am having lots of fun with the rifle. My questions is about making blank paper cartridges for demonstration and possibly future re-enacting. I've made some blanks to test but, naturally, since theres no bullet to stop them, the blank paper cartridges want to slide down into the barrel. I've thought of maybe thickening the front of the cartridge with more nitrate paper or something but know there must be a pretty standard way to make paper blanks for this rifle since I'm sure lot's of re-enactors must use it.

So - what methods do you use in making your blank paper cartridges for the Sharps?

Dixie Gunworks sells a kit for making the Sharps Cartridge, to be honest I've not heard the mention of the cartridge sliding forward being an issue. What size are your finished cartridges? It sounds like the diameter is a bit small.

A lot depends on how you are making your cartridges. When I was making them for friends (several years ago) I bulk purchased empty tea bags, soaked those in a nitrate solution then wrapped & poured in my powder. IIRC I was putting in 50 grains FFFG for my blanks ad about 60 grains for live fire (which I never did enough of) and the cartridges worked well. I don't recall any issue w/ my method. A friend of mine who shoots a lot of sharps rifle rounds down range (he has the Shiloh M1859) goes to his local meat locker and buys up intestine for making sausage. I'm not certain how he does it but the end result is perfect. As he only live fires I'm not sure if blanks could be made using his process. I'll drop him a line this week and ask him if he can pass any pointers.

You really might want to check out www.civilwargunstalk.com as there are many more qualified than I there who should be able to answer your question.

Thanks for the link Shane. My live fire cartridges are just fine. It's the blanks that are trying to slide down the barrel of course. But, as I hoped, you gave me an idea. I'mgoing to get a bigger dowel (duh) to make the blanks so there'll be a tighter fit. Looks like I'd a thought of that :shrug:. Oh well - that's part of what these boards are for.

Remember that paper at that time was rag based. I don't know about the Springfield but the Enfield used paper that had both wool and linen fibers. I believe it was patented in 1807. Unless you wan to be a super authentic, I'd use a newspaper weight of paper. It tears a bit easier and the color is fairly close to what was used back then. I made up several hundred blank and live rounds with it and was satisfied with the results. And for what its worth, the grease/wax lubricant used on the Enfield rounds were on the OUTSIDE at the BOTTOM of the cartridge. There was not one drop of grease on the actual bullet. If you load black powder cartridge rounds you're probably familiar with the "paper patch". The grease kept the black powder residue soft and allowed more loads without a quick wipe/cleaning. FWIW: By the time of the India Mutiny in 1857 the Brits started bee's wax alone instead of mixed with tallow. The use of animal fats had Religious significance with the cow being sacred to Hindus and pork being forbidden among the Muslims. Lard was NOT used but once the rumors were started it got out of hand. Bee's wax was a harder lubricant and help up better in the heat. This is NOT what started the Mutiny but it WAS a contributing factor. :sneaky:

Back