Blancmange

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Blancmange or also known as Vanilla Pudding has been around for centeruries.

Chaucer mentioned it in the 14th century and Louisa May Alcott mentioned it in 'Little Women". In the story from 'Little Women", Jo went to visit her neighbor Laurie, who was ill. She brought him blancmange made by Meg. Laurie declared it was too pretty to eat but Jo insisted, saying it was so soft it would "slip down without hurting your sore throat".

Louisa May Alcott's mother, Abigal had a recipe for blancmange in her collection of recipes.

It stated: "Take two tablespoons of arrowroot to one quart of milk and a pinch of salt. Scald the milk, sweeten it and then stir in the arrowroot, which must first be wet with some milk. Let it boil once. Orange water, rose water, or lemon peel can be used to flavor it. Pour it into molds to cool.." From Abigail Alcott's "Receipts and simple remedies," 1854.

A modern day version of the recipe Blancmange or Vanilla Pudding

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Scald 2 cups milk in a double boiler.
Separately mix cornstarch, sugar and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup cold milk.
Combine mixture to scalded milk in double boiler.
Cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly until the pudding thickens.
Cool slightly, thickening occasionally. Add vanilla. Chill and serve.

Pudding is a dish that can be dressed up or served as is. Some great garnishes to pudding are:

Berries and a mint leaf.
Brandied fruit.
Candied orange peel.
Chocolate curls, shaved chocolate or Hershey's kisses.
Shredded coconut.
Whipped cream.

Also one can serve pudding with vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers or other cookies.

This is really good stuff! :dance: It's like cornstarch pudding, which is something my mom made a lot. It's very simple, very good and, as noted, very easy to eat when you don't feel so well. Sometimes we made butterscotch or caramel flavor - that was much like the Mexican dessert flan. I believe the recipe is still printed on packages of Argo cornstarch.

If you go to Argostarch.com there are all kinds of great recipes.

There is their one for easy vanilla pudding.

My favorite is Easy Chocolate Pudding. When i was a child my Mom always made it.

Easy Chocolate Pudding from Argo Corn Starch:

2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup Argo Corn Starch
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine sugar, corn starch, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk until smooth.

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and boil 1 minute. Remove from stove. Stir in butter and vanilla.

Pour into serving bowls. Cover. Refrigerate.

This is really good stuff! :dance: It's like cornstarch pudding, which is something my mom made a lot. It's very simple, very good and, as noted, very easy to eat when you don't feel so well. Sometimes we made butterscotch or caramel flavor - that was much like the Mexican dessert flan. I believe the recipe is still printed on packages of Argo cornstarch.
I have a World War I recipe that substitutes maple syrup for sugar in a rice pudding. Same book also has a chocolate blanc mange using corn syrup and cocoa powder.

Blanc mange
Recipes from Foods that Will Win the War and How to Cook Them - C.Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss (1918)

MARMALADE BLANC MANGE

1 pint milk
⅛ cup cornstarch
2 yolks of eggs
⅓ cup orange marmalade
½ teaspoon vanilla
Few grains of salt

Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold milk. Scald rest of milk, add cornstarch, and stir until thick. Cook over hot water 20 minutes. Add rest of ingredients. Cook, stirring 5 minutes. Chill and serve with two whites of eggs, beaten stiff, to which has been added 2 tablespoons orange marmalade. Two ounces grated chocolate and ⅓ cup corn syrup may be substituted for marmalade.

CHOCOLATE BLANC MANGE

1 pint milk
⅓ cup cornstarch
⅓ cup corn syrup
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 oz. grated chocolate

Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup cold milk. Scald rest of milk. Add cornstarch. Cook until thick. Add a little of the hot mixture to the chocolate when melted. Mix all ingredients and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Chill and serve with plain or chopped nuts.

Blancmange or also known as Vanilla Pudding has been around for centeruries.

Chaucer mentioned it in the 14th century and Louisa May Alcott mentioned it in 'Little Women". In the story from 'Little Women", Jo went to visit her neighbor Laurie, who was ill. She brought him blancmange made by Meg. Laurie declared it was too pretty to eat but Jo insisted, saying it was so soft it would "slip down without hurting your sore throat".

Louisa May Alcott's mother, Abigal had a recipe for blancmange in her collection of recipes.

It stated: "Take two tablespoons of arrowroot to one quart of milk and a pinch of salt. Scald the milk, sweeten it and then stir in the arrowroot, which must first be wet with some milk. Let it boil once. Orange water, rose water, or lemon peel can be used to flavor it. Pour it into molds to cool.." From Abigail Alcott's "Receipts and simple remedies," 1854.
Blanc mange was one of the first things my grannie taught me how to make.

Back