Blacksmithing ideas?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The pieces and parts for artillery carriages that I build when I make cannons is the first thing that comes to my mind. I have to buy them from several sources and they can be expensive and I believe its due to only a few folks that produce them and most are cast where as the originals were blacksmith made. CS D-Guards were all blacksmith made from old files and other items. BTW my ex is from Dothan. I live in the beautiful town of Demopolis. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo, Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums. Be sure to check out our annual get together "CWT Invades Vicksburg". Hope you can joins us. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cw...tour-the-official-thread.155709/#post-2006411

View attachment 310674View attachment 310675View attachment 310676View attachment 310677View attachment 310678View attachment 310679
Those cannons are absolutely beautiful! I’d be thrilled to make parts for those! When you start to build again send me some specific dimensions and let me make you a few pieces no charge. That’s awesome!

EJ Zander

First Sergeant
Welcome aboard. May be some interest in authentic made picket pins for the cav and artillery horses.
Soldiers modified them in the field for other uses so there may be interest in them outside of horse picketing.

Last edited:

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
By the way, if CWT ever decides to have a calendar with member profile pictures, I'd like to personnally nominate @EJ Zander 's profile picture as one to be included. :D I'm sure the other ladies would agree. :wink:

Lisa Murphy

Private
I have a question you might be able to answer. How could "Sherman's Neckties" be untied? Might it have been done at the site with a traveling forge, or would it require moving to a "real" forge?

1559867198367.png

EJ Zander

First Sergeant
Wonderful! Welcome. Found these on the web (likely you have seen them?):

A video on reconstructed traveling blacksmith forge for Civil War reenactments:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?325905-1/discussion-traveling-blacksmith-forge

And ... Library of Congress photo, army blacksmith forge:
View attachment 310911
And several reproduction forges:

View attachment 310913

View attachment 310914

Look forward to your posts about iron working.
Lisa,
That last pic is of board member Unicorn's own forge that he made.

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
Howdy and welcome. One of my nephews is an expert blacksmith. My grandpa was, too. In fact, one of my contemporary art buddies is a very competent blacksmith. I love blacksmiths!