Blacksmithing ideas?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Hello all!
I’m new to the forum and really enjoying what I’m reading. I’m a traditional coal fire blacksmith and have thus far only been a part of Viking age/medieval living history events.
Being a blacksmith and interested in the Civil War era, I’m wondering if there are any hard to find iron reproductions that you’ve been searching for that I can endeavor to make?
Thanks for accepting my request to join.

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Greetings from Germany and welcome aboard from The Traveler's Companion and Other Notable Biographies forum! :smile:

Sounds like a good idea to support the community. Have you thought of portraying a blacksmith for reenactments and/or living history events?

zburkett

First Sergeant
Welcome. Good question. My guess is the best market will be form someone restoring pieces and needing specific parts. Artillery reenactors come to mind. If they are putting together a caisson or gun carriage they will need a lot of iron parts specific to that gun. The problem is the accuracy to a period piece will be very important as will your skill at making it. You might also try attending a reenactment and see what they need in camp tools. As you do charcoal blacksmithing you might consider setting up the kind of shop a blacksmith on campaign would have had and make items on demand for the reenactors. In any case, good luck.

DixieRifles

Captain
Hi & Welcome,
I was trying to think of a project for you. One of my relic hunters showed me a crescent wrench he dug up. I couldn't be sure if it was Civil War era until I received drawings of the Williams Gun cannon. The wrench was pretty small by today's standards and had a nicely formed handle. I can't find the photo of the dug wrench but I could get the drawing. The wrench in the drawing had the exact handle shape and size but a different working end.
I presume the wrench that was dug up was used to tighten bolts on artillery carriages or wagons. Maybe someone has photos of tools like this.

Another good artillery item is a Confederate worm. The Union worm had two "rods" that spiraled around into a circle. But the Confederate had one rod that spiraled until the end where it had one "branch off" to form 2 points. I'm looking for a photo but they must be pretty rare. Again, I should have a photo here somewhere. If I find it, I will edit my post.

redbob

Captain
Welcome to the group from middle Alabama, we have at least one other blacksmith on the forum and hopefully they will chime in. Also, there is an excellent book Civil War Blacksmithing by David Einhorn that may be of interest to you.

Last edited:

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
Welcome! My hubby just bought 8 iron stakes with hook tops and a special device to easily pull them out from the ground from the blacksmith at the Burton Century Village reenactment last weekend to help secure my female spy dressing screen display from blowing in the strong wind. The blacksmith was a Godsend! The original stakes we had kept bending and coming out of the ground. Which reminds me, I need to call my farrier and have him come out for my horses, btw he makes custom things like period gates and things on the side too. You guys are so talented!
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4538564/civil-war-blacksmith-forge

Last edited:
Hello all!
I’m new to the forum and really enjoying what I’m reading. I’m a traditional coal fire blacksmith and have thus far only been a part of Viking age/medieval living history events.
Being a blacksmith and interested in the Civil War era, I’m wondering if there are any hard to find iron reproductions that you’ve been searching for that I can endeavor to make?
Thanks for accepting my request to join.
Welcome !

Blacksmiths and Sadler, Union 8th Tennessee Cavalry

east tn yakee blacksmiths.jpg

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The pieces and parts for artillery carriages that I build when I make cannons is the first thing that comes to my mind. I have to buy them from several sources and they can be expensive and I believe its due to only a few folks that produce them and most are cast where as the originals were blacksmith made. CS D-Guards were all blacksmith made from old files and other items. BTW my ex is from Dothan. I live in the beautiful town of Demopolis. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo, Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums. Be sure to check out our annual get together "CWT Invades Vicksburg". Hope you can joins us. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cw...tour-the-official-thread.155709/#post-2006411

IMG_20160915_151719793.jpg
12PDRMTHOWITZERPARTSLIST.jpg
cannon.jpeg
capsqwithchainandeye12mthowitzer.jpg
trunnionplate12pdrmthowitzer.jpg
understrap12pdrmthowitzer.jpg

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. There's all kinds of handy items we use from a blacksmith particularly in camp. We have a blacksmith down here that sets up shop at our bigger events. I'd go check out a couple of reenactments in your area and get an idea of stuff that would sell.
I make a few camp items but am certainly looking forward to making some new items. Here is a pic of a camp cooking set I made recently.

08A277B5-E9B9-4032-AC5A-54C4DA4E0B03.jpeg

1EFAFC40-786D-4D0B-98FF-8E0457A3C60C.jpeg

41C214AF-966F-4CA8-A68A-34F7826E2E18.jpeg

E669B75A-0D13-4F61-8BEB-58B9D4CACF0A.jpeg

C8A6571B-3798-4439-92CD-8857EBE91FA2.jpeg