Black Votes: Frederick Douglass Meets With Andrew Johnson 2/7/1866 Reconstruction150

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Johnson argued that non-slaveholding whites in the South had come to hate blacks because, as slaves. they had given planters a monopoly on power in the South. He said that blacks had contempt for poor whites, a charge Douglass denied. Then Johnson said that blacks status had improved greatly through Emancipation while Southern whites had seen their situation decline:
View attachment 90200
I’ve never read this before but this does shed some light on the thoughts of poor whites in the South. However those of my family had nothing to gain or lose. We always grew our own crops and looked out for ourselves.

There is a deeper explanation. Racism is evil. OK then we just end the conversation by saying people like Andrew Johnson were just evil ... there has to be a deeper explanation. Why would he be so doggedly against supporting equal rights? If he was just a hater, I guess I will have to accept that.
Too many good people, who by the way were more than willing to fight for an America where all men would be treated equally ... my ancestors among them witnessed unspeakable atrocities ... many died fighting. It is too easy just to say that he was a racist and end it at that. We are still looking for the day to come when we can accept and recognize each other as Americans.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
There is a deeper explanation. Racism is evil. OK then we just end the conversation by saying people like Andrew Johnson were just evil ... there has to be a deeper explanation. Why would he be so doggedly against supporting equal rights? If he was just a hater, I guess I will have to accept that.
Too many good people, who by the way were more than willing to fight for an America where all men would be treated equally ... my ancestors among them witnessed unspeakable atrocities ... many died fighting. It is too easy just to say that he was a racist and end it at that. We are still looking for the day to come when we can accept and recognize each other as Americans.
Thanks for responding. Let us start by acknowledging that most white citizens of the United States were racists in the late 1860s. Since some of those racists supported the 14th and 15th Amendments granting citizenship to African Americans and voting rights to black men, mere saying Johnson was a racist is not a complete explanation. The evidence shows that many whites with racist views supported some level of civil equality for blacks.

When I have time to do so, I will address your question as fully as I can.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
Thanks for responding. Let us start by acknowledging that most white citizens of the United States were racists in the late 1860s. Since some of those racists supported the 14th and 15th Amendments granting citizenship to African Americans and voting rights to black men, mere saying Johnson was a racist is not a complete explanation. The evidence shows that many whites with racist views supported some level of civil equality for blacks.

When I have time to do so, I will address your question as fully as I can.
Yes, I am anxious to see your answer also.

There is a deeper explanation.
What is the definition of "Poor Whites"?
In my readings there was a class of citizenry in the South that was primarily poor and white and These were basically the underclass that even Lee spoke about in his writings. They were poor in terms of money but also in class according to the standards of a wealthy planter. Although I don’t want to generalize. Some plantation owners were black as we know so even they would have ranked higher in class than a poor subsistence farmer from the South. Comments?

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
There is a deeper explanation.

In my readings there was a class of citizenry in the South that was primarily poor and white and These were basically the underclass that even Lee spoke about in his writings. They were poor in terms of money but also in class according to the standards of a wealthy planter. Although I don’t want to generalize. Some plantation owners were black as we know so even they would have ranked higher in class than a poor subsistence farmer from the South. Comments?
I ask that question because I was raised on a farm and my Grandparents on both sides were farmers and large families. Starvation and being fed by others is the difference between rich and poor, which in the South there wasn't very many that starved as farmers. Even in the Mountains of small communities, even there were those that were isolated and not starving. I just question the use of the word "poor" all the time.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!