Brass Napoleon Award Black Southerners and the Confederate Cause--What the newspapers said: 1861-1865

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I am not sure of these cases, but many newspapers were part of a press association which distributed stories to its members during the Civil War. The Nov 16 stories suggest that they were members of a press association that distributed news from a common source.
The News Media and the Making of America, 1730-1865
The success of the Sun and other daily newspapers led to another media institution: the press association. As penny papers competed with established papers and with one another, they sought the most current news, and their news gathering methods became increasingly aggressive. To “beat” their rivals, New York newspapers used fast harbor sloops, special pony expresses, and even carrier pigeons to shave a few hours off the time needed to get news from Europe and Washington, D.C. In 1846, with the start of the Mexican-American War and the early development of the telegraph, timely information became significantly more costly, and the highly competitive newspapers were drawn into something new: cooperation. The proprietor of the Sun, Moses Yale Beach (1800-1868),organized the leading newspaper publishers of New York to pool their resources to get the war news. The original members included, in addition to the Sun, the Herald, the Tribune, the Courier and Enquirer, the Journal of Commerce, and the Express. This informal group gradually evolved into the New York Associated Press (NYAP), which became a formidable news monopoly in the late nineteenth century. The power of the NYAP was eventually broken by a rival group of Chicago newspaper publishers known as the Western Associated Press. Under their leadership, a new national press cooperative was formed in 1892, known simply as the Associated Press.​

I knew there was some sort of proto-AP service. I've seen too many identical articles in different papers for there not to be some sort of wire sharing service among various newspapers. Good info, jgg.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
The Carolina Spartan. (Spartanburg, S.C.) 1852-1896, January 10, 1861
G0x5IRa.jpg

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Another from two months prior to my last post....

Same paper, The Daily Dispatch (Richmond, VA) 20 May 1861

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024738/1861-05-20/ed-1/seq-1/

enhance.jpg

I hope I haven't submitted duplicates. There's a LOT of pages, & a LOT of articles in this thread. It's tough to remember them all. I found these three, made copies, & posted them in the span of about an hour. Certainly speaks to how many hours of research have gone into nearly a 100 pages of this thread.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I hope I haven't submitted duplicates. There's a LOT of pages, & a LOT of articles in this thread. It's tough to remember them all. I found these three, made copies, & posted them in the span of about an hour. Certainly speaks to how many hours of research have gone into nearly a 100 pages of this thread.

Don't worry if you have, I've duplicated a few myself. Thanks for contributing!

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Here's a pretty interesting story....! The fact that this man is referred to as a, Negro Confederate is probably the least surprising thing in the story...lol

Daily Globe (St. Paul, Minn) 16 June 1880

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83025287/1880-06-16/ed-1/seq-2/#date1=06/16/1880&index=1&date2=06/16/1880&searchType=advanced&language=&sequence=0&lccn=sn83025287&words=&proxdistance=5&rows=20&ortext=&proxtext=&phrasetext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=range&page=1

enhance.jpg

** If you follow the link, you can read the story yourself, in a more legible format. In trying to copy the article, somehow it ended up blurry.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Here's one where a Black man was not only engaged in fighting, he claims to have been the one who killed Gen Lyon...

The Western Democrat (Charlotte, NC) 1 Oct 1861

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84020712/1861-10-01/ed-1/seq-2/

enhance.jpg

Equally interesting is this article from the same newspaper. I wasn't even looking for this, I just stumbled on it while reading the whole newspaper....

enhance.jpg

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Here's a pretty interesting story....! The fact that this man is referred to as a, Negro Confederate is probably the least surprising thing in the story...lol

Daily Globe (St. Paul, Minn) 16 June 1880

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83025287/1880-06-16/ed-1/seq-2/#date1=06/16/1880&index=1&date2=06/16/1880&searchType=advanced&language=&sequence=0&lccn=sn83025287&words=&proxdistance=5&rows=20&ortext=&proxtext=&phrasetext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=range&page=1

enhance.jpg

** If you follow the link, you can read the story yourself, in a more legible format. In trying to copy the article, somehow it ended up blurry.
"The vessel on which he was taken was a federal gunboat."

Sold by the US government???

Last paragraph- "If any one doubts the truth of this story he or she can write to Capt. B. F. Jones, Winona, Miss."

B. F. Jones, Winona, MS, 1880 census. Appears to be a newspaper editor-

JonesBF.jpg

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
"The vessel on which he was taken was a federal gunboat."

Sold by the US government???

Last paragraph- "If any one doubts the truth of this story he or she can write to Capt. B. F. Jones, Winona, Miss."

B. F. Jones, Winona, MS, 1880 census. Appears to be a newspaper editor-

View attachment 176151
Could this be the other source.... ?

enhance.jpg

He's listed in the same town, county, state as the article. Just a 1 letter difference in name but, find no others. He's listed as a doctor.

Here's one where a Black man was not only engaged in fighting, he claims to have been the one who killed Gen Lyon...

The Western Democrat (Charlotte, NC) 1 Oct 1861

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84020712/1861-10-01/ed-1/seq-2/

enhance.jpg

Equally interesting is this article from the same newspaper. I wasn't even looking for this, I just stumbled on it while reading the whole newspaper....

enhance.jpg

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/bl...rs-said-1861-1865.129911/page-74#post-1630924