1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Black Southerners and the Confederate Cause--What the newspapers said: 1861-1865

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Andersonh1, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 1st Lieutenant

With all the discussion about whether black men served as armed soldiers in the Confederate Army, I wanted to start researching contemporary accounts from the war years, 1861-1865, and see what made the newspapers. Thanks to the Library of Congress, there are huge amounts of old papers online, with a pretty good search engine, so it's not hard to find what the papers of the day said. So far I've found rumors, eyewitness accounts, editorials and random references. There was a range of opinion about the topic, just as there is today.

The purpose of this thread is not to necessarily prove or disprove anything, it's to explore what the news of the day said about the concept. If you want to debate the existence of black Confederates, there are numerous other threads dedicated to that topic. While here, please confine discussion and commentary to posted articles and any observations you may have about them. Any supporting information that tells us about people, places or battles mentioned in an article is also welcome.

HatDebate, SJP, SWMODave and 10 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Andersonh1

Looking back through the thread, and ran across this article you posted. Do you know what paper it came from, and the date?

east tennessee roots likes this.

4. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  5. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

Andersonh1 likes this.
  6. Andersonh1

I did a search and found it here, and it's possible that they reprinted it from the Knoxville Whig and Rebel Ventilator (what a name for a paper!):

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/167934446/

May 19, 1865
    The Philadelphia Inquirer from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The first consignment of Rebel negro soldiers, captured by General Stoneman, passed through Nashville recently. They numbered about three hundred, and were all dressed in the Rebel uniform, "much dilapidated" in appearance. They excited great curiosity, as they went marching on, guarded by their ebony brethren in blue, who seemed cognizant of their authority over their misguided brethren of the South.

7. Andersonh1

I don't think I've ever posted an article from Brownlow's paper, so let me remedy that. There's a very strong pro-Union tone all through this article, and really from anything you'll read from that paper.

Brownlow's Knoxville Whig, and rebel ventilator. (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1863-1866, November 30, 1864
    DbzH9Lp.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Rebforever likes this.
  8. Andersonh1

Brownlow's Knoxville Whig, and rebel ventilator. (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1863-1866, November 09, 1864
    LIdOaXw.jpg

Harvey Johnson and Rebforever like this.
  9. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

The "Parson" was a "very strange pro-Union man" ! He was pro-Union and also pro-slavery, until it became obvious that the cause of saving the Union and ending slavery had become one in the same. He literately despised anyone financially better-off than himself (usually slave-owners). He hated Blacks, Jews, foreigners, democrats, and anyone whose Church affiliation was not Methodist, and whose political affiliation wasn't Whig (or later Republican when he desired to be Governor and later U.S. Senator). He and Andrew Johnson, (a democrat), despised one another but the war made strange allies out of them, at least for awhile. I've never seen anything that verified it, but have read some accounts that say, had the Confederates offered him something other than a chaplaincy, he could well have ended up a rebel !

Rebforever and Andersonh1 like this.
  10. Andersonh1

Volunteer them for service, or the Provost Marshal will come and get them.

The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]) 1850-1884, May 25, 1862
    [​IMG]

11. Andersonh1

It's mainly 1861 when these stories about black volunteers appear.

Newbern weekly progress. volume (Newbern, N.C.) 1858-1863, June 04, 1861
    Newbern_weekly_progress._volume_Newbern_N._C.jpg image hoster

12. Andersonh1

Semi-weekly standard. (Raleigh, N.C.) , June 19, 1861
    [​IMG]

13. Andersonh1

I think I saw this same editorial in "The Black and the Gray" while I was reading earlier today.

The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]) 1850-1884, March 09, 1865
    The_daily_dispatch._Richmond_Va._1850-1884.jpg free picture upload

14. Andersonh1

One of the things I've been working on lately is going back and reorganizing the articles I've collected, because I wasn't entirely satisfied with the way I originally did that when I wrote up some summaries of the material earlier in this thread. The skirmish at New Market Bridge is one story that I have been currently concentrating on since I have so many different accounts of that battle. And what I've noticed is that there is very little reporting on that skirmish from the Southern side. I think I have one article that actually reports on the battle, and two others that comment on Northern reports. In contrast, there are a ton of northern newspapers who reported it, and several versions of the story show up again and again.

I wonder how much of a trend this is? Is it a lack of reporting, or a lack of surviving Southern newspapers? I don't really know. Something to keep an eye on in future.

15. Andersonh1

The daily Green Mountain freeman. (Montpelier, Vt.) 1861-1865, February 17, 1863
    The_daily_Green_Mountain_freeman._Montpelier_V.jpg gif upload

16. Andersonh1

Brownlow's Knoxville Whig, and rebel ventilator. (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1863-1866, November 09, 1864
    WC94Yq0.jpg

17. CMWinkler

CMWinkler Colonel Forum Host Retired Moderator

I didn't see this one but it may have already been posted in 51 pages.

Attached Files:

Rebforever and Andersonh1 like this.
  18. Andersonh1

I have not seen that exact article. I think I've posted others than have some of the same information, but I think there's some new info in the one you just posted. Thanks!

19. Andersonh1

Janesville Daily Gazette 05 Dec 1861, Page 2
    05_Dec_1861_Page_2_-_Janesville_Daily_Gazette_a.jpg post images

20. Andersonh1

I ran across a second appearance of a story I already have from the Sept. 5 Cincinnati Press. The northern papers credit it to the Fort Smith Times, so for those looking for a Southern paper that claims black men were ready to fight, here it is. Note it doesn't say that they're in the army, or state troops, but that companies have been formed and are drilling "to take the field", so this could be volunteers who may or may not have been accepted. I have yet to find any other references to this group, but I'm on the lookout for them.

04 Sep 1861, Page 7 - The Philadelphia Inquirer
    04_Sep_1861_Page_7_-_The_Philadelphia_Inquirer.jpg how to capture screen

21. Andersonh1

New Orleans daily crescent. ([New Orleans, La.]) 1851-1866, April 23, 1861
    New_Orleans_daily_crescent._New_Orleans_La..jpg

22. Rebforever

Rebforever Captain

What's with all the "X's"?

23. Andersonh1

Looks like the image hosting site or the forum is having issues. When I click on them the image files are still there, so I'm not sure what's going on. Let me see what I can figure out. If I have to, I'll host them at another site and update the links.

Rebforever likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)