Brass Napoleon Award Black Southerners and the Confederate Cause--What the newspapers said: 1861-1865

Before and, duuring, the war, the South, or at least their leaders, said one thing, when their cause was still to be won and they said another after that cause had been lost.

With the advent of the Lost Cause Mythos, built upon the denial of the primacy of Slavery as the cause for secession, it was much easier to find evidence of 'confederate' Afro-Americans, than previously.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Before and, duuring, the war, the South, or at least their leaders, said one thing, when their cause was still to be won and they said another after that cause had been lost.

With the advent of the Lost Cause Mythos, built upon the denial of the primacy of Slavery as the cause for secession, it was much easier to find evidence of 'confederate' Afro-Americans, than previously.
Purely based on newspaper treatment of this topic, which is the focus of this thread, that's not the case. Southern papers had no problem printing "loyal servant in the fight" stories, and I have a number of post-war stories where these men are named and what they did during the war recounted. I've found that there is a lot of consistency in southern press coverage, not one thing during the war and a different story entirely in the decades that followed.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Purely based on newspaper treatment of this topic, which is the focus of this thread, that's not the case. Southern papers had no problem printing "loyal servant in the fight" stories, and I have a number of post-war stories where these men are named and what they did during the war recounted. I've found that there is a lot of consistency in southern press coverage, not one thing during the war and a different story entirely in the decades that followed.
I merely note the term "loyal servant."

The 'loyalty' of the servant is always to his master. The question is how loyal did the Black slave have to be to his master, to be considered to be a citizen of the confederacy, by his white contemporaries?

I merely note the term "loyal servant."
That was the point of view of many southern newspapers. Many of the combat stories that originate with them concern someone who was clearly someone's slave picking up a musket and joining the fight. That's not always the case, but it's what I've often seen, and the newspapers would claim it as evidence that the abolitionists did not understand the men they were trying to free.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
That was the point of view of many southern newspapers. Many of the combat stories that originate with them concern someone who was clearly someone's slave picking up a musket and joining the fight. That's not always the case, but it's what I've often seen, and the newspapers would claim it as evidence that the abolitionists did not understand the men they were trying to free.
Even Frederick Douglass?

I wonder if he would such the same as those Southern newspapers or merely assume that slaveholders did not really understand the property they were enslaving.

Even Frederick Douglass?

I wonder if he would such the same as those Southern newspapers or merely assume that slaveholders did not really understand the property they were enslaving.
I'm not sure what your point is. All the newspapers of the day printed viewpoints that we today would find objectionable. To detail what they were saying and to analyze it is not the same as endorsing those viewpoints. As to your question, I'm quite sure Douglass would disagree with the Southern newspapers. That seems obvious enough.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I'm not sure what your point is.

I have merely called into question your above comment/observation. One man's claim could be another's denial. Just depends on which side of the "fence" one was on.

All the newspapers of the day printed viewpoints that we today would find objectionable.

Agreed.

To detail what they were saying and to analyze it is not the same as endorsing those viewpoints.

Nor is questioning an observation of such.

As to your question, I'm quite sure Douglass would disagree with the Southern newspapers.

Agreed, seeing how even Douglass himself had exploded one myth of Southern views about happy, cooperative slaves when it came to their singing in the fields.

That seems obvious enough.
One would hope so.

Unionblue

The 'loyalty' of the servant is always to his master. The question is how loyal did the Black slave have to be to his master, to be considered to be a citizen of the confederacy, by his white contemporaries?
That discussion is outside the scope of this thread and what it's about, unless you have a newspaper article discussing that particular topic.

The purpose of this thread is not to necessarily prove or disprove anything, it's to explore what the news of the day said about the concept. If you want to debate the existence of black Confederates, there are numerous other threads dedicated to that topic. While here, please confine discussion and commentary to posted articles and any observations you may have about them. Any supporting information that tells us about people, places or battles mentioned in an article is also welcome.​

That discussion is outside the scope of this thread and what it's about, unless you have a newspaper article discussing that particular topic.

The purpose of this thread is not to necessarily prove or disprove anything, it's to explore what the news of the day said about the concept. If you want to debate the existence of black Confederates, there are numerous other threads dedicated to that topic. While here, please confine discussion and commentary to posted articles and any observations you may have about them. Any supporting information that tells us about people, places or battles mentioned in an article is also welcome.​

Ah! So this thread is about what Newspapers say...'nuff said.

Ah! So this thread is about what Newspapers say...'nuff said.
It always has been. Before the board transfer the disclaimer was at the top of each page, but now it's just on post #1. It's not about black Confederates in general, but how the newspapers treated the subject of black men and women and their involvement with the Confederate cause.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I'll just add, these newspaper sources are especially important for those of us that are interested in possibly locating family history and ancestors. When names and dates are listed, this can provide precious information for those of us that are trying to locate and fill in huge gaps. My search continues, but I hope others will use Mr. Adersonh1 and the others great contributions to this tread as a helpful tool in their search.

"....He then proposed to assist in removing the dead and wounded, which he did amid the shower of balls that fell around. He was actively engaged all day in taking care of the wounded, and rendered all the assistance in his power, at the risk of sacrificing his life without the hope or expectation of reward. Such deeds are highly meritorious, and deserve much credit."

The Rome weekly courier. volume (Rome, Ga.) 1860-1887, August 09, 1861
DlbPuu2.jpg

Here again we see that people weren't waiting around for the Confederate Federal government to take action. A suggestion to impress free black men into service (with pay) is made in April 1862, and it's directed at the Convention, not the government in Richmond.

Fayetteville observer. April 07, 1862
fT0rcW0.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)