Brass Napoleon Award Black Southerners and the Confederate Cause--What the newspapers said: 1861-1865

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Cedar Falls gazette. (Cedar Falls, Iowa) 1860-1895,
May 02, 1862
View attachment 297047
May 1862, Series I, Volume XIV Colonel Benjamin C. Christ (50th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers) "There were six companies of mounted riflemen, besides infantry, among which were a considerable number of colored men."

.........................................................................................................................................

Last edited:

Andersonh1

Major
The item of interest to me from this article is the idea that if and when it came to arming black men for the CS army, Davis would begin with those already employed by the army as quartermasters or in the commissary department. In other words, it would a transfer of black men from non-combat military jobs to combat, recruiting from those already in the military before drawing anything from the slave population.

Orleans independent standard. (Irasburgh, Vt.) 1856-1871, November 18, 1864
uX5xicQ.jpg

Last edited:

Andersonh1

Major
A black servant of a Confederate officer, "fighting by his master's side" and killing black Union troops at Fort Pillow? Apparently so, and the writer of this 1867 article is amused that his man is elevated above the other former Confederates under the "Brownlow Constitution" when he was just like them during the war. He was "the bitterest rebel of all."

The Elk advocate. (Ridgway, Elk Co., Pa.) February 28, 1867
View attachment 296899
Here is another mention of the black man who killed some of the USCT at Fort Pillow.

The Evansville journal. (Evansville, Ind.) 1866-1870, March 05, 1867
6BPr8QE.jpg

Andersonh1

Major
"...digging trenches and guarding Federal prisoners." I wonder if he was armed while guarding prisoners? It does seem likely.

Continuing the theme of some other stories published immediately post-war, black men who were on the Confederate side during the war were often known, and what they did during the war was known. The theme of this story is similar to that of the March 5, 1867 Evansville journal in post 2954. Some "rebel negroes" who spent the war with the Confederate army from start to finish were nonetheless able to vote without taking the oath of allegiance, while the white "rebels" had to "swear a lie" and still were not allowed to vote.

The Pulaski citizen. (Pulaski, Tenn.) 1866-current, March 16, 1866
JrYW8M2.jpg

Andersonh1

Major
As Host.
Please be sensitive that in this forum things past 1869 or so needs to be in the reconstruction forum
Thanks.
I do have a good number of post-war newspaper articles all throughout this thread. They often shed some light on wartime events and individuals, or tell us how these men were viewed in the decades after the war.

I've posted this particular story before, but it's worth revisiting this 1889 article about Eli Pickett, who received no mention that I can find in the newspapers during the war, but who fought and was wounded during the war, and shunned by other black men after the war ended, because they said he had fought to keep them in slavery. It was the attempt to obtain a pension for Eli Pickett that brought him into the public eye, as those who felt he deserved a pension wanted his story made public. They were successful in obtaining him a pension, despite the initial refusal by a judge.

The Times-Picayune, 10 Aug 1889
A4GGVCO.jpg

The gold leaf. September 19, 1889
hpb3Pfq.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!