Brass Napoleon Award Black Southerners and the Confederate Cause--What the newspapers said: 1861-1865

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I found the full article where Rives made the comments about converting all free black men to slaves if he could. That seems to have been the portion of the longer debate that some newspapers zeroed in on (talk about cherry picking quotes!) but there was a longer discussion. This was not about combat duty, so far as I know, but the free black population were to be subject to conscription.

The New York herald. (New York [N.Y.]) 1840-1920, February 10, 1862
3r4EM7v.jpg

Good evidence that recruiting black CSA soldiers had some success outside of Richmond.
That's interesting. One of my collateral ancestors kept a notebook while he was a POW at Johnsons Island, in which he had many fellow POW officers sign and write messages. I transcribed all of them and did bios on all the officers, one of them was tasked by the Confederate government (including endorsed by senators and congressmen) to raise black units. Am researching to see if there are any newspaper articles from the time period to match it.
Have also been doing a lot of research into Mack Lee, will share it if it's considered appropriate for this thread.

Am glad to see the argumentation has ceased!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
That's interesting. One of my collateral ancestors kept a notebook while he was a POW at Johnsons Island, in which he had many fellow POW officers sign and write messages. I transcribed all of them and did bios on all the officers, one of them was tasked by the Confederate government (including endorsed by senators and congressmen) to raise black units. Am researching to see if there are any newspaper articles from the time period to match it.
Have also been doing a lot of research into Mack Lee, will share it if it's considered appropriate for this thread.

It has not "ceased."

It is being withheld to honor the thread author's wish that these articles be posted without back and forth claims and debate of their accuracy and verification.

Keeping in line with the title, "What the Newspapers Said," not what they prove.

Unionblue

There's a discussion thread here, so any thoughts you have are welcome:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/di...ewspapers-said-1861-1865.153616/#post-1966355

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Interesting that being in the Confederate service got some free black men a tax exemption in SC.

Edgefield advertiser. (Edgefield, S.C.) 1836-current, March 18, 1863
View attachment 258129
Indeed. I would say that’s pretty good evidence that there were free black men in the service, or at least, there were legal ‘slots’ for them. At least in SC.

Specster

Sergeant Major
Awesome post - Newspapers just keep getting more and more accurate.....A Denver mining magnate got elected to the state senate by buying a newspaper....that is how much I trust them - then and how!!!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)