Brass Napoleon Award Black Southerners and the Confederate Cause--What the newspapers said: 1861-1865

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
brass napoleon award.jpg

With all the discussion about whether black men served as armed soldiers in the Confederate Army, I wanted to bypass modern opinion and research real-time contemporary newspaper accounts from the war years, 1861-1865. Thanks to the Library of Congress and some University online archives, there are huge amounts of old newspapers in digital, searchable format. So far I've found rumors, eyewitness accounts, editorials and random references. There was a range of opinion about the topic during the war, just as there is today.

The purpose of this thread is not to necessarily prove or disprove anything, it's to explore what the news of the day said about the concept. If you want to debate the existence of black Confederates, there are numerous other threads dedicated to that topic. While here, please confine discussion and commentary to posted articles and any observations you may have about them. Any supporting information that tells us about people, places or battles mentioned in an article is also welcome.

For a few years I posted stories as I found them, and while there is a lot of good information in this very long research thread, I did not originally post in any particularly organized fashion. That changed in June 2019 when I began posting stories in chronological order. If you would like to start at the beginning and go through the material as it occurred, please use the link below which will take you to page Page 158 and post 3154.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/bl...s-said-1861-1865.129911/page-158#post-2082122

Last edited by a moderator:
Back