Black slaveowners with white servants

“In 1670, Virginia passed a law forbidding Negroes from buying white people. This was fifty-one years after the Negro had arrived in chains. The same law was repeated in 1748. Free Negroes bought white people in such numbers in Louisiana, that the state made a similar law in 1818.” - Joel Augustus Rogers in “100 Amazing Facts About The Negro with Complete Proof”

The following information is also from the above mentioned book:

“Act. V, Laws of Virginia, Oct. 1670 reads:

“No Negro or Indian though baptised and enjoying their own freedom shall be capable of any such purchase of (white) Christians, but yet not debarred from buying any of their own kind.” (Henings, Vol. II, p. 281.)”

“Act IX, Oct. 1748:

“No Negro, mulatto, Indian, although a Christian or any Jew, Moor, Mohammedan.…shall purchase any Christian white servants.” (Hening’s, Vol. V, 550.)”

Statutes of Louisiana, Chap. 91, 13, Sec. 12, March 20, 1818, forbids the same. “It was not in fact until the year 1818 that the Legislature (of Louisiana) found itself called upon to notice the frequency with which free persons of color bought the white stranger and in their tardy wisdom forbade any such further purchases on their part.…they, however, permitted white persons of good fame and character to continue the traffic.” (Quoted from Slavery Pamphlets, Vol. 23, No. 15, New York Public Library.)

I have included these links as well if anyone would like more sources to study -

https://web.csulb.edu/~jlawler/Course DW/VirginiaSlaveLaws.htm

http://vagenweb.org/hening/vol05-25.htm

This information was new for me. Has anyone ever read or heard of this trivia before? I’m hoping to find books on the subject as well. If anyone knows of any books about this topic that they can recommend, I would appreciate it.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
What a break!

Whites could only be bought by other whites!

I'm sure the relief that swept through the indentured white population must have been HUGE.

Sorry, my humor mode is switched off at the moment and I am commenting on the above article, not about the poster.

@Zeeboe , thanks for posting the above information.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

What have you learned about Port Comfort Florida? 1100's 500 years before. That's when the first Africans arrived on the coast of this land now called America. Not sure where you researched your information on Africans owning white slaves?

Carol

Private
If others would research they would find other colonies implementing these same laws into effect. So much of our history has been ignored simply because it doesn't fit into a social prospective.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
No, I’m not familiar with that. This information was found in the book, “100 Amazing Facts About the Negro with Complete Proof: A Short Cut to The World History of The Negro” by J. A. Rogers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RZ2HWXY/?tag=civilwartalkc-20
Wow, I read the Amazon ‘look inside’ pages and it’s clear this book is pure fantasy. I really hope they’re not teaching this stuff in African studies courses No one should take it seriously.

Carol

Private
Another prime example for this subject and noted with proof from the 1860 census of Sumter County, South Carolina where this individual owned over sixty slaves and was born into slavery. Although William Ellison did not own white slaves like Anthony Johnson, the example seemed relevant to the topic at hand.
View the 1860 Census Records

Wow, I read the Amazon ‘look inside’ pages and it’s clear this book is pure fantasy. I really hope they’re not teaching this stuff in African studies courses No one should take it seriously.
Well, in the author’s defense, he does have evidence to support his research, such as the information written here -

On a similar topic: During the Barbary Slave Trade, African pirates would highjack European Christian’s ships and take them all to Africa and they would sell them as slaves to other Africans. Charles Sumner wrote a book about the topic in 1847.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072B5V1CB/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

One of Sumner’s points of writing that book was to remind Caucasians that they were slaves once too and that if what they read in his book offends them, then they can understand his arguments against what was at that time modern day slavery.

Tom Hughes

First Sergeant
“In 1670, Virginia passed a law forbidding Negroes from buying white people. This was fifty-one years after the Negro had arrived in chains. The same law was repeated in 1748. Free Negroes bought white people in such numbers in Louisiana, that the state made a similar law in 1818.” - Joel Augustus Rogers in “100 Amazing Facts About The Negro with Complete Proof”

The following information is also from the above mentioned book:

“Act. V, Laws of Virginia, Oct. 1670 reads:

“No Negro or Indian though baptised and enjoying their own freedom shall be capable of any such purchase of (white) Christians, but yet not debarred from buying any of their own kind.” (Henings, Vol. II, p. 281.)”

“Act IX, Oct. 1748:

“No Negro, mulatto, Indian, although a Christian or any Jew, Moor, Mohammedan.…shall purchase any Christian white servants.” (Hening’s, Vol. V, 550.)”

Statutes of Louisiana, Chap. 91, 13, Sec. 12, March 20, 1818, forbids the same. “It was not in fact until the year 1818 that the Legislature (of Louisiana) found itself called upon to notice the frequency with which free persons of color bought the white stranger and in their tardy wisdom forbade any such further purchases on their part.…they, however, permitted white persons of good fame and character to continue the traffic.” (Quoted from Slavery Pamphlets, Vol. 23, No. 15, New York Public Library.)

I have included these links as well if anyone would like more sources to study -

http://vagenweb.org/hening/vol05-25.htm

This information was new for me. Has anyone ever read or heard of this trivia before? I’m hoping to find books on the subject as well. If anyone knows of any books about this topic that they can recommend, I would appreciate it.
This is interesting. I'd never heard of this before. Thanks for posting.

RedRover

Corporal
From the Alabama case of Guilford v. Hicks, 1859.

1629824897484.png

1629824939154.png

Period papers describing the case suggest that Wilson carried the girl (in a family way) off so as to elope, and ended up selling her and his own child to Guilford...