Black eyed pea time again!

Have to get some. Do you have your own recipe?
MrsP makes a variation of this recipe except she uses less bacon and adds diced ham to the mix. Also, mostly black pepper instead of cayenne. Like a gumbo the recipe is flexible, always have peas and pork, all the rest is optional.

Hoppin' John

6 to 8 servings

1/2 pound dried black-eyed peas (about 1 cup)
3 1/2 cups water
1/4 pound slab bacon, lean salt pork or smoked pork
1 onion, sliced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot pepper, or 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

1. Heat peas and water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.

2. Cut bacon in to 8 pieces. Stir bacon, onion and hot pepper into peas. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

3. Stir in rice, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in additional water, if necessary, to cook rice.

Cans ?
Canned black eyed peas . . . ??

:eek:

Never, never, never use canned black eyes for New Years !!!!

Lord have mercy @RobertP .

You're from Mississippi . . . you know better than using "canned" anything !!!!

:bounce:
I will admit the canned variety. But they are or used to be processed at the Trappey’s plant in Lafayette, La. So, there!

Trappey’s
You're right !
:thumbsup:

Anything Trappey produces is going to be delicious.
Same with the Blue Runner company in Gonzales, Louisiana.

When I'm making a quick dish of red beans & rice ( with plenty of Cajun sausage),
I'll often buy a few cans of both brands of beans and mix them together.

Sometimes that turns out better than spending the time making everything from "scratch".

No doubt the end result was almost the same as my relatives in the 9th Louisiana Volunteer Infantry ate, until they
were shipped up to Virginia.

You're right !
:thumbsup:

Anything Trappey produces is going to be delicious.
Same with the Blue Runner company in Gonzales, Louisiana.

When I'm making a quick dish of red beans & rice ( with plenty of Cajun sausage),
I'll often buy a few cans of both brands of beans and mix them together.

Sometimes that turns out better than spending the time making everything from "scratch".

No doubt the end result was almost the same as my relatives in the 9th Louisiana Volunteer Infantry ate, until they
were shipped up to Virginia.
Now for Red Beans & Rice we do buy dry and soak them overnight. I think that’s the only way to do it!

If I thought it would bring any luck at all I'd eat 2 cans. But I will try some just to say that I did and can answer "Yes" when or if asked.
I hear ya !

Something bad always happens to me within a few months
after a New Years Day "Lucky" lunch.

But things always seem to work out in the end, so I guess there may be something to the black-eyed pea ritual.
:bounce:

Anyway, it's an old tradition that I think will be around for a long time.

:smoke:

Here's a tip that may not appeal to everyone.

Take a bag of seasoned pork rinds, and using a rolling pen, grind the rinds into crumbs and add to the black-eyes while soaking.
It's not overpowering at all, but adds a little lagniappe ( Louisiana Cajun French for something extra).
But as @CowCavalry said, "going to simmer the hocks until they are falling off the bone, then cook the peas in the same pot.

Yep, that's the way you do it !
" Money for nothing and your peas for Free "

My apologies to Dire Straits.

:D

Last edited:

Take a bag of seasoned pork rinds, and using a rolling pen, grind the rinds into crumbs and add to the black-eyes while soaking.
It's not overpowering at all, but adds a little lagniappe ( Louisiana Cajun French for something extra).
But as @CowCavalry said, "going to simmer the hocks until they are falling off the bone, then cook the peas in the same pot.

You had me at pork rinds....

My Mother is from Marion County, cant be too far from you.

Back