Period Black eyed pea time again!

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
We picked up a couple of cans of black eyed peas yesterday for our traditional New Year’s Day Hoppin’ John. Cans are flying off the shelves, even the carpetbaggers down here seem to be willing to try anything to see a better year in 2021!

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Have to get some. Do you have your own recipe?
MrsP makes a variation of this recipe except she uses less bacon and adds diced ham to the mix. Also, mostly black pepper instead of cayenne. Like a gumbo the recipe is flexible, always have peas and pork, all the rest is optional.

Hoppin' John

6 to 8 servings

1/2 pound dried black-eyed peas (about 1 cup)
3 1/2 cups water
1/4 pound slab bacon, lean salt pork or smoked pork
1 onion, sliced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot pepper, or 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

1. Heat peas and water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.

2. Cut bacon in to 8 pieces. Stir bacon, onion and hot pepper into peas. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

3. Stir in rice, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in additional water, if necessary, to cook rice.

Polloco

Captain
If I thought it would bring any luck at all I'd eat 2 cans. But I will try some just to say that I did and can answer "Yes" when or if asked.