Research Black Confederates, how many ?

Dixie Boy

Private
I have read and studied this for quite some time and they did indeed exist and it seams silly to me that anyone deny that. I've read many accounts and they were brave and many wanted to fight for their cause, many felt and were treated as family and friend by masters. So some sources say 50,000 to 60,000 and others say 80,000 and 90,000. Now I would rather this be a discussion of numbers not an all out debate over wether they existed because clearly they did, many black men contributed such as Silas Chandler, Rev. Mack Lee, Levi Carnine, Horace King, Holt Collier. I've read accounts and quotes from slaves and free men who loved their home and were glad they fought and accounts and photos of UCV reunions. But numbers is the target because I know they existed and I've heard the weak argument they were all forced to fight which wasn't at all the case but if you want to say that then look at the big picture of what about who else was forced to fight, like drafted men for example. Interesting fact from Horace Greeley a Union Abolishionist "
“For more than two years, Negroes had been extensively employed in belligerent operations by the Confederacy. They had been embodied and drilled as rebel soldiers and had paraded with white troops at a time when this would not have been tolerated in the armies
of the Union." (Horace Greeley). So numbers ladies and gents, numbers.

Back