Research Black Confederates, how many ?

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Proving a person's state of mind is difficult at best, impossible most of the time.

Even reading letters, & diaries. More times than not, people write what they think people want to hear. Or worse, they write how they want to be perceived, not necessarily what they really think. There are many examples historically, all the way to present day. Today's equivalent of letters, & diaries, are twitter feeds, & FB postings. They aren't always a great insight into someone's real thoughts. There's plenty of motivations to be deceitful.

I tend to believe peoples actions, much more so than their words. What somebody actually does, is much better insight into who they really are, & what they actually believe vs. what they say. I suspect that has always been the case...
What I write on facebook in a public debate is something I expect (or want) a lot of people to read.

A letter in comparison would usually be addressed to a few persons at the most (if not it is often clear from the letter with a clear wish for it to be publish or similar)

That is simply not comparable to a private diary.
Sure a diary might be written with the plan to shared some of it with family or friends.
But as I mentioned in one case a Danish soldier write about vising women of loose morals... We can be pretty sure that the fact that he paid women for sex is not something he was planning to tell his family. And it is not mentioned in his published memories.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
I know the name of the unit in that photo. They probably had servants attached to their company, but I also know they had 12 enlisted fmc.
When/where was it taken? and what unit is it?
(Iam not questioning your honesty about it, but am just curious)

I need to revise that post-
"I know the name of the unit in that series of photos. They probably had servants attached to their company, but I also know they had 12 enlisted fmc."

Last edited:

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
It won't matter.
Teaser:
Unit Information (2).jpg

What about the other two? :unsure: