Research Black Confederates, how many ?

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
The fact that there are Confederate descendants who despise their ancestry for whatever reasons is no shock at this point. Why should this one be any more significant than the thousands of others who disgracefully reject a piece of their identities.
We're talking about people who never considered themselves confederates.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
And promptly forgot all about them as they moved on to some celebrity scandal after scrolling away.
I doubt many people outside of the Civil War community even know his name -- for that matter I don't think half the people in it even know who he is. He's no McPherson or Foote even if he like to crow that he is.
We weren't comparing him to any other historian. The comparison was to your blog post.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
The fact is, Silas left no record (afaik) of his sentiments/beliefs about that war.
What we have from Levin is a lot of "he probablys" and "he may haves" which all fit nicely with his agenda.
If there's no record, than no one should presume to know he'd want confederate symbols added to his grave.

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
We're talking about people who never considered themselves confederates.
Really?

1928 UCV Reunion Huntsville, AL 2-2-1928.jpg

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant

A photo from decades after the war is not evidence of anything.
It only prove that the men on the photo decided to have their picture taken with a csa flag at this date.

Sure they might have done so because they in 1861 volunteered to fight and loved the confederacy.

Or maybe their economic and social situation in 1928 was directly impacted by how the white people around them saw them. And this action might help them gain more respect, and their access to a pension required local official to approve it.
So they had a very clear economic interest in showing affection for the old south.

Or they might have changed their minds.

Here in Denmark we have 3 cases of veterans from the 1864 war where we have their diary from the war and then their memories written decades later. There are huge differences in all 3.

One is very pro danish in his book, but his diary make it clear that he didn't care for the political issue that caused the war.
He had become political active in the Danish movement in what had become Germany after the war. So he had a direct interest in telling a specific story about himself... a story that do not match what he himself wrote during the war.

Another write in his book about how they where all religious and prayed all the time. But in his diary he write about a lot of drinking and visits to women of loose character.
He had become a priest after the war... so obviously had to show his "flock" a positive version of himself.
(He might actually believe his story about himself)

The fact is that what a person write about them self decades after the war or in this case a photo do not prove anything about how they actually where during the war.
To prove anything you need other independent sources that verify their claims.

Just to give another examble.
If I post a photo taken in 2020 of me in a Danish army uniform, holding a M16.
Do that prove I served with the Danish army in Afghanistan in 2008?
No obviously not.

What If I post official paper work from 2019 showing that I was in fact in the army in 2008. Do that prove it?
No, it only prove that I was in the army. (if we can trust the paperwork)

That is why you need primary sources that was created as close to the events as possible.

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
A photo from decades after the war is not evidence of anything.
It only prove that the men on the photo decided to have their picture taken with a csa flag at this date.

Sure they might have done so because they in 1861 volunteered to fight and loved the confederacy.

Or maybe their economic and social situation in 1928 was directly impacted by how the white people around them saw them. And this action might help them gain more respect, and their access to a pension required local official to approve it.
So they had a very clear economic interest in showing affection for the old south.

Or they might have changed their minds.

Here in Denmark we have 3 cases of veterans from the 1864 war where we have their diary from the war and then their memories written decades later. There are huge differences in all 3.

One is very pro danish in his book, but his diary make it clear that he didn't care for the political issue that caused the war.
He had become political active in the Danish movement in what had become Germany after the war. So he had a direct interest in telling a specific story about himself... a story that do not match what he himself wrote during the war.

Another write in his book about how they where all religious and prayed all the time. But in his diary he write about a lot of drinking and visits to women of loose character.
He had become a priest after the war... so obviously had to show his "flock" a positive version of himself.
(He might actually believe his story about himself)

The fact is that what a person write about them self decades after the war or in this case a photo do not prove anything about how they actually where during the war.
To prove anything you need other independent sources that verify their claims.

Just to give another examble.
If I post a photo taken in 2020 of me in a Danish army uniform, holding a M16.
Do that prove I served with the Danish army in Afghanistan in 2008?
No obviously not.

What If I post official paper work from 2019 showing that I was in fact in the army in 2008. Do that prove it?
No, it only prove that I was in the army. (if we can trust the paperwork)

That is why you need primary sources that was created as close to the events as possible.
Taken during the war....let your spin begin.

fig20.jpg

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Taken during the war....let your spin begin.

View attachment 390389
Wrong photo. Iam commending on the one from 1928. That you use as evidence of the state of mind of people 6 decades earlier.
And it is simply not a relevant source for this.
To prove a persons state of mind during the war, you need to stick to things like letters and diaries and similar.

Again a very basic question of using the correct type of source for what you are trying to prove. And you don't in this case.

No one is questioning the fact that slaves where taking along to work as cooks and servants... as we se on the wartime photo in your newest post.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Wrong photo. Iam commending on the one from 1928. That you use as evidence of the state of mind of people 6 decades earlier.
And it is simply not a relevant source for this.
To prove a persons state of mind during the war, you need to stick to things like letters and diaries and similar.

Again a very basic question of using the correct type of source for what you are trying to prove. And you don't in this case.

No one is questioning the fact that slaves where taking along to work as cooks and servants... as we se on the wartime photo in your newest post.
Proving a person's state of mind is difficult at best, impossible most of the time.

Even reading letters, & diaries. More times than not, people write what they think people want to hear. Or worse, they write how they want to be perceived, not necessarily what they really think. There are many examples historically, all the way to present day. Today's equivalent of letters, & diaries, are twitter feeds, & FB postings. They aren't always a great insight into someone's real thoughts. There's plenty of motivations to be deceitful.

I tend to believe peoples actions, much more so than their words. What somebody actually does, is much better insight into who they really are, & what they actually believe vs. what they say. I suspect that has always been the case...