Black Civilian Warns of Confederate Attack and Joins the Fight on Culp’s Hill

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
Everyone knows the story of Gettysburg resident John Burns, who fought in the Union ranks on July 1, and was wounded. How well do you know the story of his black counterpart, who fought on July 3 for the Union side, and also gathered valuable battlefield intelligence at great personal risk?

Until recently I was only aware of a single brief description from a soldier in the 5th Ohio, which reportedly appeared in the Cincinnati Daily Times of July 14, 1863 (as quoted in Buckeye Blood, Ohio at Gettysburg, by Richard A. Baumgartner): “On the left of our regiment an American citizen of African descent had taken position, and with a gun and cartridge box, which he took from one of our dead men, was more than piling hot lead into the Graybacks. His coolness and bravery was noticed and commented upon by all who saw him. If the negro regiments fight like he did, I don’t wonder that the Rebs and Copperheads hate them so.”

The 5th Ohio played a prominent part in the fighting on Culp’s Hill on the morning of July 3. It was posted on the west side of an open field (now called Pardee field), and helped repulse at attack by George Steuart’s Confederate brigade made across that field at 10:30 a.m. A half hour earlier, Junius Daniel’s North Carolina brigade had entered the trenches, relieving Steuart’s men, who in turn filed south just inside the edge of the woods bordering the east side of Pardee field, prior to advancing to the attack.

While reviewing articles written by veterans in The National Tribune, I came across a piece in the June 29, 1893 addition that was provided by August E. Zeitler, formerly of the 109th Pennsylvania. Consulting my battle maps, I find the 109th also helped repulse Steuart’s morning charge across Pardee field. Joining the right (south) of the 109th at the time? None other than the 5th Ohio.

"A Daring Deed. August E. Zeitler, M. D., Sergeant-Major, 109th Pa., Florence, N. J., says that at 10 o’clock in the morning, at Gettysburg, his division (The White Star) confronted Stonewall Jackson’s old command. The ground between was scantily wooded with half-grown oaks, and there was a space intervening that a pistol-shot would span. At this time the firing was desultory. ‘Suddenly there appeared among us from the rear a young negro, without uniform, but with a musket and a cartridge-belt. He spoke to no one, but moved steadily and rapidly towards the front, soon passing beyond the line. Scores of men yelled at him to come back, that he would be killed, but he gave no heed. He sought no cover, but with a calm dignity advanced to midway between the contending lines. Here he halted, leaned his gun against a tree, which he climbed. Forty feet or more in the air he rested. Now he could see over and beyond the enemy’s breastworks, and his purpose was clear. The significance of his action was noted by all, for he was doing the right thing at the right time. For full three minutes the negro surveyed the ground. Then he leisurely descended from his perch, and as calmly and fearlessly as before retraced his steps. He gave us information to the effect that the enemy was massing and maneuvering behind the breastworks as if to charge us, and then he disappeared. Half an hour elapsed in anxious suspense. Then the enemy appeared in serried lines, their banners waving brightly. Now the muskets from thousands of men volleyed, defiantly Union cheers answered rebel yells, and the third day’s battle at Gettysburg was fairly on.’ "

John Burns achieved lasting notoriety, and even met Lincoln when the President came to Gettysburg several months later to deliver his immortal address. Burns' black counterpart, on the other hand, has quickly faded from memory and been lost to history for 150 years. We do not even know his identity. He was as brave and fearless as John Burns, if not more so. It is right and just that we appreciate and honor the contribution this unknown and unheralded civilian made as well.

Everyone knows the story of Gettysburg resident John Burns, who fought in the Union ranks on July 1, and was wounded. How well do you know the story of his black counterpart, who fought on July 3 for the Union side, and also gathered valuable battlefield intelligence at great personal risk?

Until recently I was only aware of a single brief description from a soldier in the 5th Ohio, which reportedly appeared in the Cincinnati Daily Times of July 14, 1863 (as quoted in Buckeye Blood, Ohio at Gettysburg, by Richard A. Baumgartner): “On the left of our regiment an American citizen of African descent had taken position, and with a gun and cartridge box, which he took from one of our dead men, was more than piling hot lead into the Graybacks. His coolness and bravery was noticed and commented upon by all who saw him. If the negro regiments fight like he did, I don’t wonder that the Rebs and Copperheads hate them so.”

The 5th Ohio played a prominent part in the fighting on Culp’s Hill on the morning of July 3. It was posted on the west side of an open field (now called Pardee field), and helped repulse at attack by George Steuart’s Confederate brigade made across that field at 10:30 a.m. A half hour earlier, Junius Daniel’s North Carolina brigade had entered the trenches, relieving Steuart’s men, who in turn filed south just inside the edge of the woods bordering the east side of Pardee field, prior to advancing to the attack.

While reviewing articles written by veterans in The National Tribune, I came across a piece in the June 29, 1893 addition that was provided by August E. Zeitler, formerly of the 109th Pennsylvania. Consulting my battle maps, I find the 109th also helped repulse Steuart’s morning charge across Pardee field. Joining the right (south) of the 109th at the time? None other than the 5th Ohio.

"A Daring Deed. August E. Zeitler, M. D., Sergeant-Major, 109th Pa., Florence, N. J., says that at 10 o’clock in the morning, at Gettysburg, his division (The White Star) confronted Stonewall Jackson’s old command. The ground between was scantily wooded with half-grown oaks, and there was a space intervening that a pistol-shot would span. At this time the firing was desultory. ‘Suddenly there appeared among us from the rear a young negro, without uniform, but with a musket and a cartridge-belt. He spoke to no one, but moved steadily and rapidly towards the front, soon passing beyond the line. Scores of men yelled at him to come back, that he would be killed, but he gave no heed. He sought no cover, but with a calm dignity advanced to midway between the contending lines. Here he halted, leaned his gun against a tree, which he climbed. Forty feet or more in the air he rested. Now he could see over and beyond the enemy’s breastworks, and his purpose was clear. The significance of his action was noted by all, for he was doing the right thing at the right time. For full three minutes the negro surveyed the ground. Then he leisurely descended from his perch, and as calmly and fearlessly as before retraced his steps. He gave us information to the effect that the enemy was massing and maneuvering behind the breastworks as if to charge us, and then he disappeared. Half an hour elapsed in anxious suspense. Then the enemy appeared in serried lines, their banners waving brightly. Now the muskets from thousands of men volleyed, defiantly Union cheers answered rebel yells, and the third day’s battle at Gettysburg was fairly on.’ "

John Burns achieved lasting notoriety, and even met Lincoln when the President came to Gettysburg several months later to deliver his immortal address. Burns' black counterpart, on the other hand, has quickly faded from memory and been lost to history for 150 years. We do not even know his identity. He was as brave and fearless as John Burns, if not more so. It is right and just that we appreciate and honor the contribution this unknown and unheralded civilian made as well.
Thanks for sharing these great stories of exceptional courage by one- perhaps two-Black civilians! Though the 'trail is cold', these recollections really need to be researched more fully and promoted as yet another interesting story of the battle. The man- or men- aren't as well known as John Burns, but they ought to be!

Great story.

Threads like this one are why I enjoy coming here. I'm now wondering if there other civilians besides John Burns and this fellow who might have temporarily become combatants at Gettysburg, and just like this man have faded into history.

A shame we don't know more about this man, whether he was born free or an escaped slave, whether any relatives were snatched up by Lee's army on it's march to Gettysburg, ect. It would be interesting to know whether he was motivated by patriotism or had a more personal score to settle. Either way his bravery deserves more recognition than it has gotten.

Whoa, what? Thank you! Civilian stories from Gettysburg are always wonderful- these go beyond that. Could rant a little so will try not to. The African American population of Gettysburg had an awful week ( so sorry, know I'm preaching to the choir of anyone reading this thread ), it's crazy these men have not been ' spotted ' for 150 years. Trust Tom Elmore- as Burning Billy said, it's why coming here is awesome.

@Yulie , no idea if you're a Gettysburg buff? Crazy cool thread, John Burns plus!

While true that it’s a shame this and likely other stories have been overlooked by history, I imagine that one significant reason behind it is people overlooking the events on this end of the field in general. So much emphasis is placed on LRT, DD/PO/WF, Pickett’s Charge and even the RR cut...I seems like Culp’s Hill gets ignored quite a bit, which is also sad.

I would like to think though that this would have been another John Burns story had he climbed a tree and reported movements to Chamberlain on LRT.

I'm always fascinated with civilians and non-combatants who took up arms in battle. Why did they put themselves in danger? My guess is for John Burns it was probably a sense of patriotism and a sense of defending his home. Most likely this African American (or both if they were two separate individuals), had the same sense of honor in defending their home and serving their country - even if it was unofficially.

I know of at least two other incidents occurring during the Gettysburg Campaign in which civilians took up arms against the Confederates. One was Henry Hahn, who lived near Cashtown who ambushed a column of Confederates in late June.

Another incident occurred in the day before the battle when a young boy approached members of the 12th Massachusetts Infantry camped in Maryland and asked to enlist in the regiment. The boy appeared to be around 16 and one of the men took the lad to his Sergeant. They managed to find a uniform and a weapon and the following day, while fighting on Oak Ridge, the young man was wounded twice. Left behind during the retreat, the young man and his identity faded away into a mystery. Even though his identity remained a mystery, the men of the 12th in the post war era, wanted to include this mysterious civilian into their regimental history. In 1886, the historian of the regiment found an article detailing the exploits of this young man, which identified him as J.W. Weakley. Now armed with a name, information uncovered discovered the young lad - who was actually 21 - was named C.F. Weakley and had survived his two wounds and eventually - and officially - joined the 13th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Unfortunately, in November of 1864, Weakley drowned in a creek when he suffered an epileptic seizure.

Back