Black Chevrons-Army of Tennessee

I am looking for information regarding the use of Black Chevrons for Confederate artillery Corporal, Army of Tennessee. Was it used mid-late war? Was it used only for former Militia units? What material would they be made from? What sources can you provide for me to research?....Thanks!

tailor made richmond.jpg
This was an example of a tailor made Richmond Depot style jacket from adulphusconfederateuniforms.com. According to him black cloth was more readily available than the colored cloth. Didn't specify what the trim or chevrons were made of but I would imagine wool or jean, whatever was available

I am looking for information regarding the use of Black Chevrons for Confederate artillery Corporal, Army of Tennessee. Was it used mid-late war? Was it used only for former Militia units? What material would they be made from? What sources can you provide for me to research?....Thanks!
Depending on specific dates you would see varying colors, early war brought on a mixture of militia units and colors, mid war you would be looking at a dearth of material and later war color would have returned with imported jackets and cloth from England. Rapid promotion and a unit's familiarity with personnel would have actually negated visible rank later war, cloth for chevrons would have been available from the civilian population, but many went without. Units were small enough that all knew who had rank. Some Alabama and Texas units were issued English made uniforms in '64 with branch trim. 15,500 Hebert and Tait uniforms (English Army cloth) were sent to the Trans-Mississippi.

Orderly Sergeant Marcus d'Lafayette Taylor Co G 63rd TN jacket shows zero evidence of rank, yet he was wearing it when he surrendered at Appomattox. The jacket is in the Jefferson Davis Home, Biloxi, MS.

Back