Black Artillerymen.

Robert Gray

Sergeant Major
Black artillerymen recruited from among former slaves in Tennessee. Battery A of the 2nd U.S. Colored Artillery was organized at Nashville, April 30, 1864. Attached to the Department of the Cumberland, it performed garrison duty and participated in the Battle of Nashville, December 15-16, 1864. The company mustered out January 13, 1866.

Skinner Auctioneers

[1].jpg

[2].jpg

[3].jpg

[4].jpg

Last edited:
2nd U.S. Colored Artillery was organized at Nashville, April 30, 1864

The photo is annotated: Battery A 2nd US Colored Artillery Light.
One company, I think it was Company "F", was commanded by Captain Carl A. Lamberg and fought at the Battle of Brice's Crossroads on 10 June 1864. Previously, one section was sent to Fort Pillow where they were killed and captured, except for Captain Lamberg who observed the 12 April battle from a ship. It may have been company "D".
I should have a short history of the 2nd US Colored Light Artillery but what I have is not enough detail. They were originally formed as the 1st Tennessee Battery (African Descent). My notes show Company "D" was reidentified as the 2nd US Colored Light Artillery in March 1864.

One company, I think it was Company "F", was commanded by Captain Carl A. Lamberg and fought at the Battle of Brice's Crossroads on 10 June 1864. Previously, one section was sent to Fort Pillow where they were killed and captured, except for Captain Lamberg who observed the 12 April battle from a ship. It may have been company "D".
I should have a short history of the 2nd US Colored Light Artillery but what I have is not enough detail. They were originally formed as the 1st Tennessee Battery (African Descent). My notes show Company "D" was reidentified as the 2nd US Colored Light Artillery in March 1864.
As I remember there was only a two-gun section of this battery present at Brice's Crossroads.

Any idea of what they had been doing in the area prior?

Any idea of what they had been doing in the area prior?
Do you mean prior to March 1864? I would assume training and then garrison duty, which could have included protecting Nashville and Memphis.
I need to look through my files for a better history of this unit. At the moment, I can't find anything that I really want to put my hands on. Arrgh!

Do you mean prior to March 1864? I would assume training and then garrison duty, which could have included protecting Nashville and Memphis.
I need to look through my files for a better history of this unit. At the moment, I can't find anything that I really want to put my hands on. Arrgh!
There were protests coming from pro CSA families in the area. Unhappy with the occupation troops

Really nice pictures. Thank you for sharing. I’m just facinated with the role of the “colored“ troops in the war. I know in my own education, we really didn’t see any info on them.

Thanks for sharing these awesome photos. Never seen or heard of this before. Another piece of Civil War history mysteries found! Enjoyed the photos.

Back